Best/Recommended HEADPHONES for gaming, music and movies?

Aug 31, 2018
Hi,

I'm building my very first pc (I have a crappy laptop and I need to upgrade), and I'm currently trying to find my very first set of headphones. My budget is around €120.

I've been searching everywhere, I can't just can't choose which headphones to buy.
I like to listen to all kinds of music, I love watching movies and I play some games (Assassin's Creed Series, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, NieR:Automata, Rainbow Six: Siege, some MMOs and 2-3 FPS games). I'm not an audiophile, but I would like some quality audio. I prefer not to buy an amp because of my budget.
I'm from Europe so prices may vary.

I have narrowed down my choices, but feel free to bring up a new one:

- Sennheiser HD 598SR (€120)
Based from searching everywhere on the internet and watching youtube reviews, they are a pair of good headphones, good quality, wide soundstage, great positional audio and very comfortable. I'm really close to buying these, but some posts say that they lack bass. Is it really lacking that much? Or am I being paranoid?

- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (32 Ohm) (€130)
These, instead have good bass, but the soundstage is better on open back headphones, as they say. Is the audio quality better than the HD 598?

-Audio Technica ATH-M40X/ATH-M50X (M40X - €100 / M50X - €170)
I don't know the difference between these two, all I know is that they're closed back, good for music, but they say that it doesn't have a very wide soundstage. M50Xs are too tight for my budget, too. If I had to buy these, which ones should I buy?

-Superlux HD-668B (€40)
I have heard that these are the best budget headphones that you could buy, and can be compared to some $100 headphones. They are semi-open. Comfy, great soundstage and good audio quality overall. Is this headphone worth it or should I buy the HD 598 ones?

-Grado SR 60 (€120)
These have very good audio quality, but in terms of gaming, they aren't so good. What are your opinions on these?

Other headphones:
- Sennheiser HD 559 (€100)
- Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 ohms), though I don't think these are loud enough without an amp.

I haven't tried any open back and semi-open headphones yet.
Which headphones should I buy? Does positional audio really matter when you're gaming for fun and not competitively?

Thank you for reading this. Sorry for my bad English.

Solution
Positional Audio is good for games, even in casual setting. My advice is the Sennheiser HD 598SR. If I could drop the money on a brand new headset that's what I'd be picking.

I think you'd be more than happy with those headphones.

Kashimi

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
Positional Audio is good for games, even in casual setting. My advice is the Sennheiser HD 598SR. If I could drop the money on a brand new headset that's what I'd be picking.

I think you'd be more than happy with those headphones.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

The 598s have a very balanced sound signature with a large soundstage and decent imaging. Very good for the price. I still use my 598s for gaming despite owning 'better' headphones. They were my first good headphone.

The DT 770s are more of a V shaped sound signature. They have a very good soundstage for a closed back.

The M40X is quite good from what I've read. The M50X is popular but more of a love it or hate it headphone.

The Superlux seems to be pretty good but I don't know much about it. I don't know about the Grado at all.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 598s unless you listen to hip hop/rap or EDM. They have bass but they aren't bassy enough to really do well with those genres. My choice for music like that would be the would be the DT 770s or the M40X.