Best Slim Lightweight Gaming Laptop

Stanturbo311

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Hey guys,
I've been on the market for a new laptop that I can use to game on the side. I am looking for something portable--slim and lightweight--but won't overheat when gaming. This last point eliminates any Razer Blades or GTX 10-series laptops because these can't seem to properly cool themselves. I have been leaning towards the XPS 15, but I feel the 960m is underwhelming (would at least want a 965m, preferably the 970m). Since I am not in a hurry, I was thinking I could wait for the 1050 laptops to be released, hoping they won't produce overheating issues.
What would you guys recommend?

P.S. My budget is ~$2000

Light are gaming are fighting each other on your goals list. Good cooling requires copper / large heat sinks and including these drives up the weight and size. The other thing is I'd advise that you buy a laptop from an outfit that actually made it. Dell, like every other laptop brand you ever heard of (other than MSI) doesn't make a single laptop.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China.

Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP
Clevo sells a list of boutique laptop distributors (Falcon Northwest, WidowPC, and before Dell purchased them, Alienware etc) but also direct to consumers thru a network of distributors under the Clevo or Sager names.

Last I spoke to our distributor, the new 10xx series based laptops were due to be released in September and just checking the web site, I see that they are. The way it works is you select a base chassis design package and then select / customize all the individual components to your liking:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-and-reseller-info.91510/

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

We have used nothing but Clevo laptops for about 10 years, but ... like anything else ... it's important to find a good distributor

With $2k, you can do a lot better than the 1050
Clevo P650RP6 - slim (25mm) design (5.5 lbs)

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np8152-clevo-p650rp6/

15.6” Full HD (1920 x 1080) Clear LG IPS MATTE G-SYNC™ Technology
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA PASCAL™
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled, (without Recovery Media)
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz (PC4 19200) Memory (2 x 8GB)
Samsung® 850 EVO™ M.2 250GB SSD - (Primary Drive C)
1 TB HGST 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wireless AC + Bluetooth 4.0
INSTANT $50.00 OFF!
$115 Of In-Game Value Promotional Code for PARAGON
Free Shipping

Total $1584 before discounts

The 1070 could be done well under $2k ($1784 before discounts) but again, with more GFX and CPU power comes bigger heat sinks. There's more options in the 17" models at roughly the same price but they are bigger and heavier (5.8 lbs) of course.

Don't forget to read the FAQ

https://lpc-digital.com/faq/