Best Streaming Players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_193

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
I don't see how Xbox One could be a better streaming box when Sony has Playstation Vue in its back pocket, ALONG WITH, more than likely, the same lineup of streaming apps.

Tech_TTT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

Nvidia Shield.

vasq27

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
Can the chomecast device be used as a stand alone streaming device? I don't think you can compare between Roku, the Shield and a connetting device like a chrome cast can you?

RonandKatherine4

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
Looking into DirectTV Now as an alternative to Sling. Reports indicate that DirectTV Now will become compatible with Roku sometime during the first quarter of 2017. Does anyone know the status of this DirectTV Now/Roku marriage? Thank you!

KentuckyKiddo

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
The Roku remote is a battery hog. Using the headphones you will likely get no more than 10-12 hours life out of the two AA batteries - that adds up to about 4-6 batteries a week using Duracells.

Walt D in LV

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
If I'm not mistaken, the Apple TV is a less desired option due to the lack of 4K?
That certainly makes sense. However, in my household, we have not upgraded to 4K TVs, yet (it's very hard to find 73" or bigger TVs for a reasonable price: Our nine and ten year old 73" DLPs still work amazing).

Another issue I would take with Apple TV is that as of today, July 17, 2017, it does not have Amazon streaming. While it's easy enough to stream from an iPhone/iPad/Mac, it's not integrated. When that happens, later this year, then to me, Apple TV will be tops.
Perhaps it will come with Apple's usual fall upgrade line up, and the Apple TV will also have 4K? THEN, it will be a force to be reckoned with!

carlsteve

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
Failing to mention Sony's PlayStation game console was a serious omission, especially when you consider Sony's streaming TV service PlayStation Vue. The service was originally designed for the PS3 and PS4 game consoles, but it now works on several other platforms including Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Windows/Mac computers, and others. Although Sling TV (among others) can be used on an XBox, Microsoft never developed its own native streaming application as Sony did with Vue. Because of the channel line-ups (including local channels), feature set, user interface, DVR service, and other factors, Vue has become one of the top-rated cord cutting alternatives. The PlayStation game consoles also support Blu-ray, other streaming services (e.g., Netflix), web browsing, etc.

In terms of performance, I've found the Amazon Fire TV and Roku 2 to be about the same. They both have various streaming issues, even when used with a wired Internet connection. The Amazon user interface strikes me as more refined than the Roku. My Roku TV only works with a WiFi connection, so it's streaming issues are the worst among my devices. All of my other streaming devices can connect via wired or wireless, so TCL blundered in its design of the Roku-enabled TV.

1agjamo59

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
I am just looking for a easy to use WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION streaming device.
I currently have Roku's at home with an internet connection and the Roku's work fine enough.
But we have a cabin in the mountains that I loaded a NAS with movies.
The NAS is connected to a wireless router and I set up the Roku's while at home to connect to the router.
Took everything up to the cabin and set it up.
Again, works OK......until I want to do any changes (I wanted to remove all the channels but PLEX and Roku Media.
Can't do that without an internet connection!!

Basically my question is, is there a wireless streaming device that is stand alone?
No internet connection needed to make changes, and supports either PLEX or another app similar to that.

1agjamo59

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Wouldn't that mean that every 'non-smart' TV would have to have a PC attached to it?
This is why a small streaming device is so appealing.
Attaching a device like a 'stick' is so clean.

Mar 31, 2018
I was treated to a performance by rveal. Easy to set up,outstanding versatility and quality but pricey. In my opinion this is a no brainer. Why don't I see any mention of this device? Is there something just as good for a much lower price?

Looks like it's yet another Android box, pre-loaded with Kodi, and a bunch of pirating add-ons.

Not really worth paying for and more than questionable legally.

As of April 2018, the "best streaming media player overall" is the Roku Streaming Stick +, yet the "best streaming stick" is the Google Chromecast 2. How does that make sense? The Roku is a streaming stick, and you've deemed it better overall than the Chromecast, so why isn't the Roku also the best streaming stick?

Very strange. I got an email saying I received a reply but I can't see it anywhere on the page, except... in the upper right corner I see "Hi [my name]..." and a few links I can click, but none of them reveal a reply. I'm very new to this forum but I've used forums before. I have no idea where the reply is. Logically it should be obvious and right under my post. I don't like being puzzled! :pfff:

Aug 10, 2018
I am an Apple Device User, and can say with authority that Apple TV is NOT 'Best for Apple Users'. They censor content based on political agenda. You can find all major news networks on Apple TV except FOX News. That alone makes them 'Best for SOME Apple Users' and a total failure for people that want to decide for themselves what major networks to view. I currently have 2 Apple TVS and 3 Roku's. I will be replacing the Apple TVs soon with either Roku or thinking about giving Fire-stick a try.

Dec 11, 2018
i know apple tv supports direct streaming with your iohone and other apple devices. but the video formats have to be the ones that are supported by apple tv. Apple TV provides native support for M4V, MP4 and MOV files formats, some third-party video converters, like wonderfox hd video converter factory pro, can be adopted to help us to convert MKV files to the video formats that Apple TV approves.

Status
Not open for further replies.