Best Trade off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amicus500

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
I have been looking for a new laptop to replace my elitebook 8440p (i7 quad-core). Money is a consideration

I am thinking of getting an i5 laptop with plenty of graphics memory and 16 GB ram instead of a i7 dual core.

What are peoples thoughts

Thanks Amicus500

Solution
I suppose it depends on the purpose of the laptop. From a gaming perspective "plenty of graphics memory" is pretty useless info unless say exactly what graphics chip is being used. Something like nVidia 840m / 940m (and AMD equivalent) is too weak to really use more than 2GB of video RAM because you are not going to be able to play many games at high resolution and very high / ultra graphics settings. And they get saddled with slow DDR3 RAM instead of the faster DDR5 RAM. For graphics editing having more RAM will be helpful since I suppose it will allow you to use more filters / effects and work with larger image sizes.

A core i7 CPU will give you better performance than a core i5 CPU due to higher clockspeed. Since the CPU cannot be...
I suppose it depends on the purpose of the laptop. From a gaming perspective "plenty of graphics memory" is pretty useless info unless say exactly what graphics chip is being used. Something like nVidia 840m / 940m (and AMD equivalent) is too weak to really use more than 2GB of video RAM because you are not going to be able to play many games at high resolution and very high / ultra graphics settings. And they get saddled with slow DDR3 RAM instead of the faster DDR5 RAM. For graphics editing having more RAM will be helpful since I suppose it will allow you to use more filters / effects and work with larger image sizes.

A core i7 CPU will give you better performance than a core i5 CPU due to higher clockspeed. Since the CPU cannot be upgraded, but system RAM can be, I would go with the core i7 and less RAM if CPU performance is important to me then upgrade to more RAM later on when you have more money. Video RAM cannot be upgraded.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.