Best TV Smart TV connection to A/V amp?

leigh.robinson

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I just purchased a surround sound amplifier (onkyo) and a sony Bravia 4k smart TV. I will be hooking up a 4k Blue Ray player along with a 4k capable Satellite TV box. Both the TV and the A/V surround sound amplifier have multiple HDMI inputs. Both have ARC compatibility. My question is- Which is the better set-up? should I coonect all the devices to the A/V surround sound amplifier and take one HDMI line out to the TV -or should I connect all the devicess directly to the TV and take one HDMI line out back to the surround sound amp?

Solution
If your AVR is capable of processing lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD then you want to connect the BD player directly to it with HDMI. The HDMI-ARC or optical out of the TV will not support these better audio codecs.
The sat box probably only supports lossy audio so you could connect that to the TV directly and use the HDMI-ARC connection to get audio from that and the TV tuner or smart functions to the receiver. That saves you having to use an additional optical cable but doesn't sound better. Connecting it directly to the receiver may make switching sources simpler.
If your AVR is capable of processing lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD then you want to connect the BD player directly to it with HDMI. The HDMI-ARC or optical out of the TV will not support these better audio codecs.
The sat box probably only supports lossy audio so you could connect that to the TV directly and use the HDMI-ARC connection to get audio from that and the TV tuner or smart functions to the receiver. That saves you having to use an additional optical cable but doesn't sound better. Connecting it directly to the receiver may make switching sources simpler.

Solution