Question Best way to format cell/SD card?

Mar 5, 2022
I initially formatted my SD card as separate from system on my Android Samsung 8+. Any guidance on how to change format to cell/SD card together as system storage?
I'm guessing to:
  1. backup entire phone to laptop/cloud.
  2. Format cell/SD card as system storage.
  3. Restore from laptop or Cloud backup.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

If you only use it for file storage, then a backup would do the trick before formatting it again. Just make sure you capture whatever files are on the card, you can use file manager to browse it.
Or just get a new SD card and put the one you used aside after backup to make sure nothing is lost.

Mar 5, 2022
If you only use it for file storage, then a backup would do the trick before formatting it again. Just make sure you capture whatever files are on the card, you can use file manager to browse it.
Or just get a new SD card and put the one you used aside after backup to make sure nothing is lost.
Thanks for your response!

Yesterday I tried to format 2x, however each time it didn't format and data still remains. Wasn't give the option of formatting as system area either. I think your suggestion of buying a new card is worth trying.

I still don't understand why it wouldn't complete the format process. No error message. Still 18 gigs on the card. Any thoughts?

Mar 5, 2022
Thanks for your response!

Yesterday I tried to format 2x, however each time it didn't format and data still remains. Wasn't give the option of formatting as system area either. I think your suggestion of buying a new card is worth trying.

I still don't understand why it wouldn't complete the format process. No error message. Still 18 gigs on the card. Any thoughts?

I put as many of my apps on my card as possible, FYI.

Mar 5, 2022
It was my error as to why it wouldn't format. I got it to format however the option to format as system storage doesn't exist for Samsung Galaxy 8+. I got a new card and still cannot format as internal. I expanded my research and discovered that Samsung doesn't support "adoptable storage". I now have a 256 gig card that I cannot use..
Although I didn't want to, I guess I'll just root the phone,which will open some doors but close some others...