Best way to lower temps/reduce fan speed (Gaming laptop)

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys so I recently bought a MSI GT60 Dominator 424 gaming laptop and really like it. The only problem is that when playing games it gets pretty loud. It can run BF4 on ultra no problem and at about 85 degrees celcius on multiplayer. Yet on low settings in power saver just crawling on the ground it got up to 76, which isn't a major problem except the fans didn't ramp up from 60-76 until that moment and got really loud. I was wondering what settings I could use to lower temps or control the fan speed. I tried Speedfan but it caused my computer to BSOD (Windows 8.1) I've been trying vsync to limit fps and gpu usage, but also was wondering if selecting consistent performance in the NVIDIA control panel would also lower temps. I plan to under volt my CPU in the future but don't want to while its still under warranty. Are there any programs to control fan speeds for laptops?
Specs:
- Intel i7 4810MQ
- GTX 870M
- 1 fan
- 8gb RAM
- Windows 8.1

Thanks for any help, I can also provide more info if you guys need it.

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I don't have $60 to spend on a cooler I bought a CM x3 but even using that my temps get to 86 unless I hit the turbo button and the turbine cranks up to max. Also the cooling pad didn't really seem to change the temps at all except maybe 1-2 degrees and I have it at full RPM.

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
What paste should I use? It comes with IC Diamond, and just tested BF4 with the cooler on max, AND turbo boost cooling (button that turns computer fan on max) and the CPU still reached 80, and the GPU 82.

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Yea but the Y510P's (The ones with dual GPUs) often shut down due to heat. What temp should be the highest it gets to? Basically what is the highest acceptable average temp. Like averaging 100 will lead to the CPU getting damaged fairly fast. I just don't know if 90 is ok to be at constantly, I'm used to 70 with my desktop :p if 90 is ok then I don't need to use the turbo boost and can have it a bit quieter. But what temp do you think is the highest that is safe to constantly be at while gaming? (Also I plan to re-apply the thermal paste in a few months after warranty is up is there anything better than Arctic silver? I have some generic Cooler Master paste that came with my 212 Evo but I imagine after market paste is much better.

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Ok thank you, I'll leave it to cool itself then since I haven't seen the 90s yet and the max is 100. Just wish I could find better fan control software because the fan ramps up late, causing temps to get high then the fan gets really loud and temps lower back down, which is annoying.

ragztem

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
You have a beast for a processor! I use a i7 4710mq. Both are beyond adequate for gaming. I go to power options in the control panel, advanced settings, click on maximum processor and reduce usage to 96%. Works brilliant!!!