Best Wireless Carrier 2015 (Archive)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusone

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
Don't rush to T-Mobile quite yet. Sure they're cheap,but don't expect company integrity.

Never believe T-Mobile or its representatives. They don't keep their promises, even to long-standing, loyal customers. Their phone representatives told me I qualified for and sold me the T-Mobile Galaxy S7 black friday 2016 deal.

Later they told me I didn't qualify and that I needed to switch to an unlimited data plan and pay more per month. No thanks! Phone is going back. (But the time and effort I spent I'll never get back.)

Share your story here and which company you switched to. I want to switch, too. Thanks!

wjm333

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Straight Talk LTE Sucks! I've seen snails move faster. It takes "Forever" to do anything if it don't lock up on you first. They should pay us to use it.

Mike_Ana37

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
If you have Verizon or T-Moble, I will advise to NOT make the switch to SPRINT! They are NOT even close to being within 1% of ANY carrier. I recently switched from Verizon due to cost. And you definitely get what you pay for!!! Lower cost means REDUCED RELIABILITY! The customer service is even worse than their coverage!

Dissell2112

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Sprint repair center at 2282 Macarthur Rd Whitehall, PA 18052 has been most unhelpful when it comes to customer severance. I have a LG 4G with them that has gone into a boot loop cycle,LG has acknowledged the issue and will replace the phone but when I went to a sprint repair center they refused to replace the phone. Even though we already knew the problem with the phone the wanted to run a diagnostic on it that would take one hour (it was already a hour and a half drive to the center), then they told me that they were unable to run the diagnostic because of the boot loop issue and refused to assist any farther. The said we had to have it replaced through LG even though they had replace my sister phone for the same issue only one week prior. LG had sent a a message telling us we could get the phone replace as the sprint center but the repair center would not replace the phone and refused to acknowledge our messages from LG and said if the tried to contact LG to verify they would be committing fraud. To summarize, the staff were very rude,unhelpful, and unknowable.

Patchy06

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
in the phone selection list the Samsung s6 active was an at&t exclusive of course t mobile wouldn't carry it, all the Samsung active phones are specifically only offered through AT&T, sprint and Verizon don't have it either

Lydia_12

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
This is VERY inaccurate as far as Sprint is concerned. They do not have any customer service. They have customer inconvenience. You cannot purchase a Sprint phone unless you renew a contract with them. You cannot pay your bill easily, and every time I have called for a simple action, I have had to struggle through 30-45 minutes of hold time, repetitive questions, and zero customer assistance.

My most recent call - to pay my bill, and that's all - resulted in 45 minutes of getting hung up on, getting the same rep a second time, the rep putting on a fake voice to pretend to be a supervisor (without being able to disguise either her voice or accent), and refusing to take my payment without my telling her my husband's ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. Unbelievable!

I am cancelling our Sprint service, after my husband's having been with them for many years, on account of the fact that they have the second stupidest people (after Sallie Mae) working in their call center.

Save yourself hours of frustration and NEVER use Sprint.

Lydia_12

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Do yourself a favor and never use Sprint. They have a call center, not customer service. You can't even pay your bill without answering 4 security questions, and you cannot purchase a new phone for Sprint without upgrading your service. Sprint is synonymous with Hell.

Also, if you, like I, get hung up on, then the same rep again, who then tries to disguise her voice and call herself "Denise," don't be surprised. This is the kind of idiocity they have repeatedly shown. I am now canceling my and my husband's service.

ekkous

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
This article is complete BS if it is saying Virgin mobile is good. Virgin mobile has bad service at least with straight talk you are getting whatever towers you choose from. I chose At&t towers so I can use straight talk phones or any AT&T phone so I dont see how the score for that is so low. At&t towers with an AT&T phone through straight talk and I have never had a problem.

rgd1101

Don't

VM is not straight talk. are you thinking of Sprint?

neuroguy

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
After a couple of nightmarish years with the liars at Verizon, I noted a link online to ConsumerCellular.com. They use AT&T towers. Prior to Verizon I had been a relatively happy customer of Sprint until they began a bogus flat-rate charge for every smart phone ($30/mo if I remember correctly). With Consumer Cellular, I can choose off the menu how many minutes I need per month as well as how much data. Three adults in our house share 1000 minutes per month and 2gb of data (we flip to wifi whenever possible) for $90 per month. That's for THREE people! Furthermore, whenever I have to call customer service, I hang up with a smile. Unbelievable these days, non? If you need 15gb of monthly data, perhaps CC isn't the best choice, but I would give a call to inquire. They support both Android and iPhones. They have data sims for tablets and a home phone option. One little thing that gets my positive attention with CC is that incoming international text messages are FREE, not the case with the big three, INCOMING, mind you. And, outgoing intl text messages are only $0.05. Yes, you read correctly if your mouth is hanging open after getting ripped off by the big three. The only limitation I have found is international usage. They don't have a plan like Verizon or AT&T when traveling abroad. However, if I'm in another country for a week or more, I simply buy a local SIM card. For example, in France last year for only 10 days, I bought the Lebara SIM card which offers prompts in English for $15 for unlimited data for a month. Even though I needed only 10 days, the convenience was well worth it and far less than the intl travel plans from Verizon or AT&T. In the UK, look at the company called "3" at www.three.co.uk. I've used my CC account from Hawaii to Maine to Florida without a problem. It's the same AT&T grid. For recurring international calls, I go to www.localphone.com where you can create a US number that rings your international destination at extremely competitive rates. That is all. I do not represent any of the organizations I endorse so enthusiastically above. I'm but a simple consumer.

ekkous

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

Sorry I was thinking of Verizon. They list Verizon, sprint, T-Mobile and at&t.
http://get.straighttalk.com/bring-your-own-phone/activate-refill.php

Still to say virgin mobile is remotely good is beyond me. It is only good if you live in an urban area and don't travel at all.

leospereira

Prominent
Feb 11, 2017
Few months ago I went to a T-Mobile store and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 with the promo "Buy one and get one free" by the time I was switching from Sprint and they were supposed to pay for my change. When I quit Sprint they charged me over 900 dollars. T-Mobile was supposed to reimburse it all. In the deal buy one and get one free I was going to receive a gift card ( never happened, don't fall for the scam ). When I received the gift card of a bit over 600 dollars I was assuming it was the phone,... and kept calling the number to receive the rest of the reimbursement and they kept saying they would call me back, which never happened. So I decided to go back in the store. I have been told The 600.00 was for the reimbursement of the 900 and there's nothing that says the phone was free, but my boss will be calling you in 2 days.... Again, never happened. I have called T-Mobile for the last 6 months and now Im giving up. Don't believe a word they say. Get in written large and clear or you are going to lose your money.

Fleabert

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Tmobile the best? What a joke! I have only stuck with them due to the price for the last 6-7 years and the lack of coverage and dropped calls continue to increase NOT decrease! In the last location I moved to and my new home, I have to move around constantly and stand by a window or go outside to make a phone call. I get dropped calls on one Oregon's major highways and Tigard which is not a rural area at all has very limited coverage. I NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH VERIZON ASIDE FROM THE PRICE - I always had coverage! What I supposed to do if I get into a car accident or need to make a phone call in an emergency? I may as well not ever carry a cell phone with TMobile! I will be switching very soon even if Verizon costs more, I have had it!!! Tom, I have a feeling you have not even used TMobile - I am not the only one complaining about the lack of coverage and dropped calls - TMOBILE SUCKS!!!

leospereira

Prominent
Feb 11, 2017

I wrote a review in the Yelp and T-Mobile fb account:

Few months ago I went to a T-Mobile store and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 with the promo "Buy one and get one free" by the time I was switching from Sprint and they were supposed to pay for my change. When I quit Sprint they charged me over 900 dollars. T-Mobile was supposed to reimburse it all. In the deal buy one and get one free I was going to receive a gift card ( never happened, don't fall for the scam ). When I received the gift card of a bit over 600 dollars I was assuming it was the phone,... and kept calling the number to receive the rest of the reimbursement and they kept saying they would call me back, which never happened. So I decided to go back in the store. I have been told The 600.00 was for the reimbursement of the 900 and there's nothing saying the phone was free, but my boss will be calling you in 2 days.... Again, never happened. I have called T-Mobile for the last 6 months and now Im giving up. Don't believe a word they say. Get in written large and clear or you are going to lose your money.

As I wrote the message above T-mobile contact me in my fb account. Here’s the chat: Starting about 1 PM and finishing closed to 7:40PM:

BryonG asked to DM him
is this the right place?

T-Mobile
Hello Leonardo, you have landed in the realm of T-Mobile support! This is the place where we will take care of your concerns and I am happy to see you have indeed arrived at the correct place. My name is Bryon and I would be more than happy to further assist you in concerns with the situation, but first if you could do me one last favor and follow the link below and complete the requested info so I can look into the account and further assist you! *BryonG http://t-mo.io/2lvPNhZ
T-Mobile Authentication - Facebook
authentication.t-mobile.com
Leonardo
Ok BryonG I did what you asked
Leonardo
? (20 min. later)

T-Mobile
Thank you Leonardo, I have reviewed the account further and found the information you are inquiring about. After reviewing the account I have found thecard you received with a little over $600 was for the BOGO phone promotion. I have attempted to review further with the sprint reimbursement and was unable to find the submission forms for the carrier freedom process. These forms and submissions would have needed to be submitted within the first 30 days. This is why nothing else has followed past the initial card you received. *BryonG
Leonardo
I can forward to you the email you guys sent me saying you received it
Let me try to find it
Please send me your email

I had it printed with all the papers.

Pretty sure I even mailed you all the bills

T-Mobile
That is amazing if you did indeed receive a email from are response team, as this will definitely help move the process along for you. With that being said I am glad you also found the paper that you printed for your records, for the best assistance with this specifically you would need to contact are Carrier Freedom Team, they are open 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. PT (Mon-Fri) & 5 a.m. - 5 p.m. PT (Sat). There contact information is 1-888-390-6867. You will want to Press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish, Press option 3, Press 1 for a live representative. *BryonG
Leonardo
Thank you Brian for wasting my Saturday afternoon. I give up.
You guys are going to have 600 to 900 of bad reviews all over the internet
Im printing our chat as well

T-Mobile
I want to make sure we provide the best assistance for you and I would be happy to reach out to them myself and wait for a live person, so that you are not having to wait for them and as soon as I get them available we would need you to be on the line so they can validate and further assist you directly being as they are the only ones with access to these systems. What would be the best number I can contact you at once I get them on the line. *BryonG
Leonardo
I called them a lot of time and they offered me 100,00 to be happy with. I said I DO NOT WANT YOUR 100,00
Im under the impression you dont know the company you are working for.

T-Mobile
Not to worry I completely understand and would be happy to reach out to them and explain everything that is going on. The whole purpose of the carrier freedom department is to make sure you are reimbursed the fees you had to endure for switching to T-Mobile. I want to make sure that you are getting this taken care of, what would be the best number to reach you at once I get them on the line.*BryonG
Leonardo
Sprint Bill.pdf
Heres the Sprint bill
They charged me 584.38 for cancellation plus 320.00 for the phones you guys kept.
My number is 781 $$$ 0886

T-Mobile
Hey Leonardo, thanks for the reply. I want to make sure that I can help. I know how important this is, and I want to make sure that you are able to take full advantage of our Carrier Freedom benefits! One moment while I am accessing your info to get you perfectly set up. Let me know, were you able to submit your information for reimbursement here: http://www.switch2tmobile.com Take a look at some more info on that process: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10031 Then fill me in as much as you can. I know that I can help! That is why I am here Thanks for working with me! *LauraBeasley
T-Mobile Carrier Freedom
switch2t-mobile.com
Leonardo
Hi Laura. I already have done that long ago.
I can do it again if you wish.
In advance
heres my Sprint Bill:
Sprint Bill.pdf
They charged me 584.38 for cancellation plus 320.00 for the phones you guys kept.

T-Mobile
Thanks for the reply! I want to make sure that I can help the best. When you were able to complete that submission, what were the results? Fill me in about that. I defintely want to mae sure that you are right on track with that submission. When had you completed that submission for reimbursment? Let me know about that. I know that I can help. I got you *LauraBeasley
Leonardo
I have done it on 7/7/16 and 7/9/16 and theres never a result. It says wait 8 weeks. When you search for status,.. doesnt show anything.
I will re-do right now.
It is saying: Your Reimbursement was not submitted within the valid promotion dates as required by the Reimbursement offer's terms. Reimbursement forms must be submitted within two calendar months of activation to qualify.
It was sent,... i have dates and receipts are in my email.

T-Mobile
Thanks for filling me in. One moment while I am accessing those results to help We will get you set up. I want to help! *LauraBeasley
Leonardo
Thank you Laura. I had a horrible experience trying to solve this matter over the phone. I have been told a lot of different things.

T-Mobile
Oh no. I know that I can help. I will be right back with that good news. Thanks for working with me *LauraBeasley

T-Mobile
Hey Leonardo, thanks so much for waiting while I was working for you! I see that your Carrier Freedom submission was received on July 9th and approved on July 26. Then your reimbursement prepaid cards were sent to your mailing address that you confirmed in your submission on July 30th of 2016. I know that is good news! Were you able to check with your house mates for that? Let me know what you see with that. That is why I am here to help Thanks for working with me! *LauraBeasley
Leonardo
Laura I Received 6XX dollars I first thought it was the phone... and them they told me it wasn the Switch. Now I was told it was the phone again, and its going back to be the Switch.
One way or the other I never received both,... the phone and the switch
So again,.. the phone is than missing...
I guess I just keep writing my bad reviews everywhere...

T-Mobile
Thanks for the reply. I am here to help with that. I see that your Carrier Freedom reimbursement shows you had received a reimbursement for your switching cost of $342.19 for line 8763, and $311.19 for line 0886. I know that is good news! Next, I want to make sure that you are getting the full benefit of our Carrier Freedom offer for you. Were you able to submit showing the cost of those devices? Fill me in about that. I am here to help the whole way! Thanks for working with me! *LauraBeasley
Leonardo
Except as you can see in my bill: Sprint charged me 292.19 for cancellation plus 120.00 for the device you guys kept Total of 412.19 for the 0886 phone. And 200.+292.19 = 492.19 TOTAL OF 904.38
lets be clear
T-Mobile is a scammer and people will know that.
Im heading to hurt your stocks now... bad reviews every day at stocktwits... telling people my story...

T-Mobile
Thanks for the reply. It is definitely important for each person to be an informed consumer. I am here to help with your T-Mobile concerns and I want to make sure that I can help the best. That is why I am here. Did you receive those prepaid cards for your Carrier Freedom reimbursement that were sent? Verify that for me. I understand how important this is that is why I am here to help! *LauraBeasley
Leonardo
I received 1
and you know That... Im so tired of this...

T-Mobile
Awesome! I understand how important that is. Fill me in on the details of that. I know that I can help *LauraBeasley

T-Mobile
I appreciate you working with me and the time that you have put into this. I want to make sure that I can help. Which reimbursement card did you receive? Let me know about that so that I can help. That is why I am here I know that this is important. I got you! *LauraBeasley
Leonardo
You have all the information I already told you over and over again. I will be hurting your stocks with bad news every day on stocktwits and Im creating a website for haters as well.
Hey,..look
I have a new facebook page called t mobile reviews
and all this log is been recorded

T-Mobile
I want to make sure you are taken care of I don’t want you having this experience. I may have to ask a few questions to clarify. I know you stated previously you had received one of the visa cards, how much was the credit on the card you received?
Leonardo
around 600. I know you have the info, the other guy already told me.

T-Mobile
I see the one you received was in the amount of $653.38 So if you were expecting $904.38 and we sent you $653.38 you are still missing the$251 correct? *MichelleM
Leonardo
Michelle I talked all afternoon long with a lot of people and I have been calling for the last 6 months as you can see in your logs... and this conversation keeps changing people tell me the money I had was for the phone, and than it switches from the phone to the Sprint Switch. I only can tell I wasn't payed back properly.
Leonardo
from the last information I got I didnt get payed for the Phone.
Buy one and get one free... was not really free.
I want to tell you all this conversation will be posted in my facebook account.
this is beyond ridiculous.

T-Mobile
I understand you have been through a lot and I’m glad you got to me because I have reviewed everything and I see exactly what is going on. I see for the Carrier Freedom portion that you were credited the $653.38 this was the amount they approved what I can do to find out why they didn’t approve the whole $903.38 is call them and get more info on why that is. As for the Samsung Bogo offer this offer required a port in from your other carrier within a certain time frame this is the information on the Bogo https://c2.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-422458, you did not sign up for the Bogo during the time frame required. Please review the link i sent so you can see the requirements. Im going to reachout to carrier Freedom now to find out more info! *MichelleM
403 Forbidden
c2.t-mobile.com
Leonardo
I have done All the your retail store told me to do.
I understand you guys want me to pay for your mistakes,... because I called you every month to find out what was happening and in every single time they told me they would call me back. Guess what? Nobody ever done. Check your logs.

T-Mobile
The offer was from July 8 through July 10, 2016 the phones you purchased were on 6/25 I wish there was a way to still qualify you for the offer but there were certain requirements. I apologize if there was any misinformation definitely not the experience we want you to have. I am Reaching out to the carrier Freedom to find out more info on the reimbursement. *MichelleM
Leonardo
Thank you Michelle, In the mean time I will continue to warn people about how you guys carry business.

T-Mobile
I understand your frustration with this as a customer myself, I know how incredibly frustrating it is to receive incorrect information. I just want to make sure you have the correct information if I could change this I definitely would! I am on hold with Carrier freedom now I’ll let know shortly what they said thanks for working with me! *MichelleM

T-Mobile
I reached out to Carrier Freedom and they have a wait time right now and close in about 20 minutes they are closed tomorrow but open on Monday at 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. PT (Mon-Fri). Here is the information so you can also reach out to them and find out specific details on your reimbursement. Carrier Freedom reimbursement team number is 1-888-390-6867. Thanks again for working with me. *MichelleM

RogerDB

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
I have been with TMobile for years and I don't know who rates these providers but TMobile is the worst provider I was ever with. No one knows what they are doing. They are extremely over priced and the service is poor at best. I would never go back to TMobile. They have lost the luster they used to have.

RogerDB

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
I recently switched to Cricket and I love their prices, service and quality of phone service. I was with TMobile for years and they were at one time a great company but I wouldn't go back to them if I was paid to. Their service is terrible and the associates don't have a clue what they are doing. I could get an different answer from every employee I talked to to settle my issues and they rarely was of any help. Cricket beats their service and prices hands down.

Jose_105

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Horrible service and be careful when you try to cancel because they will charge for everything and once you pay they can still charge for more thing later and the only option they give you is to pay or it would affect your credit score.
Horrible experience and for sure I would never go back to that company no matter what kind of promotion they advertise... and lets not even talk about the horrible coverage....

docbillnet

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015
I am extremely disappointed with Verizon prepaid. I was in the US two weeks ago, and I needed a phone for a few days. There was a special at the store, buy a $45 card, and the phone is half price. I thought, it would be OK, I could use the same phone each time I return to the US, and for half off I might as well get a smart phone.

Once I got it home, I say on the back of the box it said if I applied $75 to the account I could unlock the phone. The phone is listed as compatible with my carrier. I also notice Verizon had a "suspend your service" feature, with a category of Other, that would cost just $10/month to keep the account active...

So one week later. And 3 hours with support calls later, all attempts to unlock have failed. They keep giving me the SAME unlock code, but it doesn't work. Also over the course of that week they removed all the "suspend your service" features except lost/stolden. So I invested an extra $30 USD for a phone service that will expire before I use it again, and an unlock code that does not work. For the same amount of money I could have purchased the unlock version of the phone from costco, and had much fewer headaches. Yuck! BTW, None of the phone plans offered match those listed on the box, which amounts to false advertising.

They certainly try hard, but ultimately I'll have to say VERIZON prepaid sucks.

parsonsg3

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
DO NOT CHOOSE SPRINT, they are loaded with hidden fees, and their "insurance" only assures that you are paying them for nothing! Well in all honesty I can't say nothing, you do get your 25$ fee waved for Sprint to give you a quote on how much they are going to charge you to fix your phone. If they can't fix it, or the cost of fixing it is too high they will then force you to pay a "deductible", yes like health insurance or car insurance, from anywhere from 50-250$ my galaxy 7, a 350$ phone, broke within the first year, now I'm supposed to pay a 200$ deductible on top of the 160$ I have already paid for the insurance. Now back to the hidden fees, I signed a contract telling me that I was going to be paying 75$ a month including my insurance on two phones, I pay 120-150$ a month, oh and did I mention that my second phone was "free" and that I had to pay a 150$ down payment on a free phone? and they justify that by giving me a 25$ credit every month (without it I would be paying 150-175$ a month) So when all is said and done, I will end up having paid 100$ on my "free phone", 300$ if I choose to pay the deductible to replace it, as it is broken. SPRINT'S COMPANY POLICY IS TO LIE AND STEAL, I always knew Verizon was designed to be shady, and known to double charge people on "accident" but this is ridiculous, I would go back to verizon in a heart beat, my suggestion is to go with T-mobile. I don't know anyone who has had an issue with them, including myself, I regret choosing sprint, it was without a doubt the biggest financial mistake of my life, and I dropped the protection incase you lose your job option on my credit card, a month before I lost my job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS