Better to go with i5 or i7 for video editing?

ellindale

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Choosing between an Intel Core i5-2400 Processor (3.10GHz), with a Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card with 512 MB DDR3 dedicated memory,

and an Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor (2.4 GHz), with a Mobile Intel® HD graphics with 64MB-1696MB shared graphics memory,

Which is better for video/photo editing?

The i5 with its 3.10GHz and dedicated graphics card, or the i7 (2.4 GHz) with its hyper-threading capabilities (and integrated graphics card).

The i5 is a desktop, the i7 is a laptop. I will gladly trade mobility for a better graphic editing set up. Both have 6GB memory.

Solution
you should not get a laptop for your professional video editing. its really important that you get a desktop because it will run cooler, faster, and you will have access to much better hardware. You also have more control and more options.

you can set up faster hard drive storage combinations

you can buy better processors

you can fit more ram

you can get better dedicated video cards.

the list goes on.

ellindale

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Thank you for your response!

Do you know what the different Ghz indicate? (2.4 vs 3.1) I'm assuming that the 3.1 is faster? I've been doing some looking, and the reviews I've seen talk about a 2.8GHz speed for the i7, so I'm concerned that the 2.4 will be a problem with the i7.

Also, I know that a dedicated graphics card is better than an integrated one. Since the integrated card is on the laptop, I won't be able to change that.

The price for the i5 (HP Pavilion Slimline) is $799.99; the price for the i7 (Toshiba Satellite) is $649 (on sale). I've been told that Toshiba's quality has improved.

nikorr

Distinguished

OK, couple of the questions...

Are u gonna use it to game?

Do u really need a laptop?

Desktop would be much better for video editing. But without the mobility.

ellindale

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I could, but would rather not, unless the price difference was significant, or the end result really worth it. I've not put a computer together, though I know people who have.

nikorr

Distinguished

U could gain as much as 40% power and speed encode time cut by 40% as well.

ellindale

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

The only game I'm likely to play is Sims2 (and maybe Sims3), and solitaire.

It would be nice to have the portability of the laptop, but not necessary. I've discovered that when I travel someone has a computer if I really need to use one. My biggest concern with the laptop and video editing is that laptops run hotter, esp. with video editing. (this is a big problem with my current laptop)

ellindale

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I just discovered this place today when I was searching for an answer to my question.

nikorr

Distinguished

Well, its right place all right...

I don't want to confuse u.

Its like this.

If u build it by yourself, u will get more for your money, but u need to know some about PC'c.

If u will buy an "all put together system", u don't need to know much about it.

If u will tell as your budget, we can find u exactly what u need.

ellindale

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I will need a monitor, and probably a keyboard (though I've probably got one around here that would work), but I won't need a mouse. I could go as high as $800 for the tower, but then I would have to get a less expensive monitor.

mentalli

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
you should not get a laptop for your professional video editing. its really important that you get a desktop because it will run cooler, faster, and you will have access to much better hardware. You also have more control and more options.

you can set up faster hard drive storage combinations

you can buy better processors

you can fit more ram

you can get better dedicated video cards.

the list goes on.

Solution

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The desktop will give you better performance, especially if you build it or have it built by a local or online store ( not a prebuilt from dell or hp etc) for the price and the bigger thing is it is also upgradable making it a much better investment.