beyer dt 770 pro 80 rattling, need amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
So recently, I recieved my beyer dt 770 pro 80. I got the 80 ohm version, because I will get an amp pretty soon. Now, I listened to Lean on, and Marian Hill- one time. In the start of both these songs, when playing through my laptop or desktop, its rattling.

Now, if I play the excact same song through my old jvc reciever, which is a powerful amp/reciever, these songs do not rattle AT ALL.
Not even when playing at higher volumes than usual.

So do they rattle through my desktop and laptop, because they dont have enough power to power the headphones?

And btw, when turning the volume down on my desktop and laptop, the rattling goes away, if it means anything.

If I dont play with the EQ it will still rattle, and if I choose to play with the EQ it rattles anywat.

ron_dv

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016

Don't you have this option in Spotify?---->Edit->Preferences...->Show Advanced Options->Playback->Set the same volume level for all tracks. Turn it on or off, see if it makes any difference.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

I just did that, and its still crackling, i am thinnking that my desktop/laptop, doesnt have enough power to drive my beyers to the higher volumes.

ron_dv

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
Yeah, that's one possible cause of clipping. I actually use a USB DAC w/ a headphone amp myself to drive my headphones and completely bypass my internal soundcard.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

Ill just buy an amp, and see if that fixes the problem, if it doesnt its my computer there is something wrong with(Since i also hear the crackling sounds on other headphones(But its not as much, but they are also only 32 ohm))