beyer dt 770 pro 80 rattling, need amp?

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
So recently, I recieved my beyer dt 770 pro 80. I got the 80 ohm version, because I will get an amp pretty soon. Now, I listened to Lean on, and Marian Hill- one time. In the start of both these songs, when playing through my laptop or desktop, its rattling.

Now, if I play the excact same song through my old jvc reciever, which is a powerful amp/reciever, these songs do not rattle AT ALL.
Not even when playing at higher volumes than usual.

So do they rattle through my desktop and laptop, because they dont have enough power to power the headphones?

And btw, when turning the volume down on my desktop and laptop, the rattling goes away, if it means anything.

If I dont play with the EQ it will still rattle, and if I choose to play with the EQ it rattles anywat.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
And just to add, its ONLY these songs that rattles, when searching on youtube: different instrument sounds, and listening through all at high volumes, no ratteling is happening.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

There seems to be no rattling at all, no where, not in the high, mid or lower frequencies.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

Hmm, thats what i was thinking, especially considering when playing through my old amp/reciever there is no "clipping" at all.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
i just tested this with beats, and i head the excact same sound, so what i am thinking is, that its my computer/desktop somethings wrong with. OR, the recording is just bad

ron_dv

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016

So through the laptop from your media player(application) and out the 3.5mm output jack to the jvc receiver, both volume controls of your media player and windows were set to its maximum and no crackling, is that correct?

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
I didnt turn it all to max levels, since i might blow my speakers(its still very loud).

And the rest of your messsge is also correct.

(Sorry for not replying directly to your message, im on my phone, and i dont have a reply option)

ron_dv

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016

If your jvc receiver has its own volume control turn it down to its lowest setting and set your media player's and windows' to their maximum then play a song and gradually raise the jvc vol until you reach a comfortable listening level. If your songs are clipping then it's happening in either the media player or windows audio.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

I have done that, but its not a portable amplifier so i cant use it anywhere else than at home.

I dont get any clipping when using the amp, but its still clipping wheb not using amp.

And 30% volume is very low.

ron_dv

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
I think I've misunderstood you, I thought you said that the vol. for you media player software and windows audio were not turned all the way up when your laptop was connected to your jvc receiver. Btw, what media player are you using to play your songs?

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

Spotify premium, and youtube.

ron_dv

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
I see, I use foobar to play songs and it has a replay gain feature to prevent clipping. Does spotify premium have a replay gain or similar feature that can prevent clipping and have you already set it up?

EDIT: I'm off to work. May not be able to respond back.

nikoK

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

Its not a feature that i know of