BioWare Responds to Fans, Will Clarify Mass Effect 3 Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QT4IUepvrU1pfv_B95oQj0H84DlCTUmzQ_uQh1voTUs/preview?pli=1&sle=true,

Insightful piece on why the mass effect 3 ending makes no sense. It is quite long read only if you have the time.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
not a single mention of the possibility they is a marketing stunt, that ea with held the actual ending from the game, to try and curb the used market, and the growing fear that we will have to pay for the end.

angry joe came out with these.

this one is why the ending sucked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=2&feature=plcp
and this one is on the Indoctrination Theory,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOyeFvnhiI&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=1&feature=plcp

BOTH are very valid views.

if bioware / ea withheld the ending, the real ending, and make us pay, this is a studio ending mistep (bioware), and possibly the most crippling (ea financially) decision they ever made

if they didnt, well... never buying a bioware game again... because i cant trust that they can write or even come up with a decent ending.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
artistic integrity is important, however its also important to provide a good peace of closure if this was meant to be the last of the trilogy. Seeing how it was handled kinda turned me off to the series now, and > vulgar word here< DLC by the way, I hate the way EA handles it. Minicraft... for some odd reason that's still on my to do list, I think ill fix that now.

G

Marginalising a large subset of fans is a mistake on the part of Bioware. Holding up the opinions of the press is also a fallacy, as it generates an "Us and them" attitude to foster division.

Especially when, in the eyes of the gaming public, the actualy CONSUMERS and profit drivers, gaming media is little more than a PR extension of the publishers - the priesthood conveying the holy word of the devs and game "celebrities", with very little actual JOURNALISM going on.

Bioware are trying to downplay this as a minor thing and trying to display a magnanimous attitude. But that ending was poorly delivered. Written well, it could have worked - as it stood, it was a letdown that left a sour taste. Bioware have shown they can do better and they need to explain why. Their handling so far shows an arrogance unbecoming of them.

Fact is, if an author fails to deliver, they are criticised. same for an artist, a playwright, an actor. Art is NEVER beyond criticism and this "hurt" defensive attitude undermines their standing. Artists HAVE to handle critique and either ignore it, holding the message up, or take it on board. Bioware assuming they are ABOVE criticism is the thing setting a worrying precedent, not the response to fans. That, if anything, is a wonderful sign of how DIFFERENT the game industry can be from others: not seperated by PR, or press, or disembling attitudes, a true exchange of ideas that creates something good.

And about those complaints that this will result in "Fan fic" levels of endings or wishful thinking fannon driven fantasy... the ending as it stood was WORSE than most fanfics.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
The ending lands with a thud(dud) and makes no sense at all. I will not be purchasing any DLCs for the game. My two sons, whom played the game, and I were very disappointed. Yes, you are responsible for the consequences of your decisions and the deaths of your squadmates are the results. I regret buying Mass Effect three and would think twice before buying another Bioware/EA game.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I am gonna say this again.
This is not about happy ending and I am quite happy with the ending ideas.
This is about the quality of the ending.
The ending has too many non-sense items and too few details, which left tasteless impression after getting the ending.
Bioware can keep the ending concept but just update/add the endings with more details and remove all the non-sense items.
This is why, I am really disappointed.

e.g. (spoilers warning):

I took Liara with me to the last mission...but she is together with Joker as the plane crashes.

Normandy is hit by the pulse in space or whatsoever during the explosion....but...wham...here it is still in one piece (with some damage), back on earth

etc. etc.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
And...one more thing...
I will give my second thought of buying the next Bioware games...

Note: I already avoid EA products due to the last CC release but somehow I made ME as exception....I believe this will be the last time I give EA an exception

G

Terrible ending. If they plan to release an explanation dlc and if they force you to pay for it and if they planned this before the game was release then I'll never buy another bioware game ever again. Hype the crap out of the ending of the game in your trailers and then go "You want to see it? OKAY PAY US MORE FOR THE DLC". It better be free bioware!

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
You have to buy the ending in the form of a $10 download from EA to know what it really is.
So sad, a once great company, Bioware is now nothing but a whore for EA.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ROFL, I'm sorry but if the ending choices missed your mark...then you missed the bigger picture. If they can explain it further further, I hope it drives you to an asylum.

sarezar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
The indoctrination theory fit SO well as an amazing ending that, even if it's not what the writers intended to do, I chose to believe it as the actual explanation. It is the only way to not feel sad about the ending - and this interpretation is actually a brilliant way to view the whole ME experience (1 to 3). Totally loved it, even if it's not true. Show how much the fans can do about something they love.

Watch the video, it was linked in one of the comments (but do so after finishing the game).

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
ea will gladly have bioware make you a new ending that you pay for... I'm skipping it all together because I don't want origins anywhere near my hdd, might pick up a used copy for a console eventually just to make sure ea doesn't see a dime of my purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.