Apr 2, 2013
Having issues with a Sony Vaio Laptop Model # SVE17137CXB:

Specs:

Intel Core i7-3632QM
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
1TB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 7650M

The laptop will power on, but the screen is completely black. It never does anything. Here is what I have tried...

1. Holding power for 60 seconds to drain capacitors, after removing battery and power cord.
2. Opened up and pulled CMOS battery, and reset BIOS.
3. Tried booting up holding the "assistance" button.
4. Tried connecting to an external monitor, and holding FN, and pressing F7 twice, then Enter, to boot on a television via HDMI.
4. Tried reseating RAM, and Hard Drive.

I'm completely lost at this point. I'm not sure if the GPU is dead, or if it is stuck in some weird monitor mode that won't display on the laptop or television. Maybe I'm pressing the wrong button combination to get it to display on a tv, or set back to laptop display.

I was reading about something called FLEA power, and maybe that is causing my monitor issues, but would that cause it not to display on a television as well?

Also, this thing powers on, the laptop keys have light, the hard rive spins, when I put a CD in I can hear it working, all the fans are working as well.

Solution
When I encountered the problem in my VGN-CS290, I disconnected the power to the laptop, then wait about 15 seconds reconnect the power line and turn on the laptop switch. The screen would show about the computer being abnormal power-off (or something like that) and asked to pick one of many different ways of startup: NORMAL START ... . . .START WITH SAFE MODEL(the top one) (by using up and down arrow key on keyboard at right hand side). I moved the arrow to the top one and return.
The safe model WINDOW would come up. Then I would SHUT DOWN the laptop for a couple of minutes and pressed START again. The window would come back normally. Remember, restart after force power-off you should pay attention to pick START WITH SAFE...

whitey86

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
Does the caps lock light work if you press the caps lock button?

Also i notices it has VGA out put, have you tried this? In my experience Hdmi doesn't work until you get into window..

Post experience

Prominent
May 4, 2017
When I encountered the problem in my VGN-CS290, I disconnected the power to the laptop, then wait about 15 seconds reconnect the power line and turn on the laptop switch. The screen would show about the computer being abnormal power-off (or something like that) and asked to pick one of many different ways of startup: NORMAL START ... . . .START WITH SAFE MODEL(the top one) (by using up and down arrow key on keyboard at right hand side). I moved the arrow to the top one and return.
The safe model WINDOW would come up. Then I would SHUT DOWN the laptop for a couple of minutes and pressed START again. The window would come back normally. Remember, restart after force power-off you should pay attention to pick START WITH SAFE MODEL as soon as possible, otherwise the computer will pick normal start-up itself then there might not be other chance for playing the trick. I wonder, if the black-screen problem related to the periodic MICROSOFT software update. I experience more frequent black screen incident lately. Especially, my last incident occurred right after completion of the last update procedure.

Solution