Black screen on a dell studio laptop

stewduff

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hello,
I have a dell studio 1536. when I start the computer I can hear it booting up, the lights run across the top above the keyboard, but the screen stays black. i can try to start it repeatedly and sometimes it will finally come on. I changed the settings so it never went into hibernate or sleep mode and can leave it on for weeks without any problem. this only happens if it goes to a full shutdown. Any suggestions?

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Is this a fix for this specific dell or other laptops as well? Also, what is your thoughts on it being a GPU malfunction?

Hi :)

If it can run for weeks there is nothing wrong with your graphics chip...

And yes it applies to all laptops, but you didn't answer about the time ?

All the best Brett :)

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

I'm not the op Brett, just have similar issues.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Actually, it is the exact same issue as the op. After weeks of research, I came to the conclusion (wrong or right) it was faulty GPU soldering. The laptop would not start, but if I warmed it up just a bit first (with a hair dryer), it would start no problem and stay on until I turned it off. Once it cooled down, it would not turn back on (unless I got the hair dryer out). I know this is not recommended (and you shouldn't try this at home kinda thing), but people bring (give) me their old stuff all the time, so I test different things. Anyway, I never noticed the time on it, I never checked it...Never even thought of it. I gave the laptop away for parts, but as I get stuff all the time, I will be checking the battery/system date time. I have seen the date time cause other issues, just not this one. Thanks!

Hi :)

The one you gave away for parts probably DID need what we call a "graphics refloat"

My guys use what looks like a big square hairdryer to refloat the solder around the graphics chip so it settles back in... we also do something that the lappy manufacturers don't bother to do... we use a high temp bonding adhesive afterwards to try and delay it happening again... its NEVER a perfect repair though :(

But the graphics chip wouldn't last WEEKS like the OP said if it wanted a refloat...as generally speaking the HOTTER the chip gets the worse the graphics get...

IMHO...lol

All the best Brett :)