Black screen on startup, before Acer logo.

Nahid145

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
I've recently come across an issue with my laptop and all other methods have failed to help me. When I start my laptop, the fan makes the normal sound it usually makes, the lights come on, but the screen doesn't. I know the issue is not with the laptop screen and I've tried tge battery cycle which only helps it load the acer sign eventually. I've also got one stick of RAM (8GB) which I cleaned and swapped to the second port but that didn't work either. Some say I should disable the graphics card but I only have one which is the Intel 4400 and I think it may cause even more problems disabling it.

Keep in mind that the battery cycle just speeds up the long black screen before the Acer sign and windows 8.1 login screen, however it still takes 8-10 minutes to load.

Test it with an external monitor, attach the monitor/keyboard/mouse to the system, turn it on and close the lid quickly. The laptop should see the external monitor as the main one and give a display if it's an issue with the laptop screen. If there is no display on the external monitor, that points to a bad video card which means you need to test with a new motherboard.

Nahid145

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015

Yes I've connected it to an external monitor and I've also tried it with a TV however there was no luck. I have a week left of my 1 year warranty so I'm goimg to take it in to see if Acer can find the problem and fix it under the cover of the warranty.

So far, the only thing I'm worried about is not getting my copy of windows 10 because the laptop may need a new hardrive... lol

Nahid145

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
I've sent it in for repairs and it's returned within a week. Luckily, I didn't have to pay anything because there was a 2 year warranty and so it's working fine now. For anyone who has the same issue, you must send it into an expert because the fix is down to hardware. The letter attached by the repair centre says the memory and main-board was damaged and they replaced it. I didn't lose any data except for what was in the trash, however that's not important.

TRENDING THREADS