BlackBerry Users Restless, Disloyal to Brand

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[citation][nom]teslaxero[/nom]No question about it... I build and program freaking computers and I can't figure out my wifes Blackberry. You need a second degree just to make a phone call. Ever tried to delete an email account from one of them?[/citation]

All the time.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
judging from things i've read and ppl i know, this study seems to be false. either because of small sample size, ridiculous testing methodology, or funded by one of RIM's competitor/enemy

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]BB Maps and Google are a joke. Have you ever tried using iGo and TomTom? I suggest you give it a try. They also do not require $10 per direction when you are lost in a different country. I will give kindle a try, thank you. B&N and eReader do not work for my own ebooks. I do have quite a few and would like to transfer them. Send me a link to Skype please that works on Bold.[/citation]

It was supposed to be out but Verizon is offering it exclusively now so It wasnt released. Same reason that the iphone app got pulled.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I bought into the hype and later regret it. Unless you are in a business environment that requires BlackBerry features you will find the phone is overpriced, overrated, and just overly expensive to maintain on a monthly plan for what you get. The fact when I bought my Curve a year ago it was already a 2+ year old phone and with a contract and all the discounts it still costed me $250 up front.

My love for the BlackBerry ended three months later when guys like AT&T charge you a $25 extra per month for the same unlimited plan just for the blackberry.

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]visa[/nom]All the time.[/citation]
I second that.
At work we have 40 BBs linked to a BES and its so easy to managed them all with the BES features, I wouldn't say the same if it was all iPhone and Android, you can basically do everything you want on any phone wherever it is.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
My 8330 is a piece of junk, usability sucks. My windows mobile phones were always easier to email and text with. Mostly the menu organization is wrong for most functions, defaults to the worst possible options.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I used the Iphone 3g (2 years) and then upgraded to 3gs (1 month). After about a month with the 3gs i sold it and bought a blackberry 9700 (used about 2 months now) because the 3gs reception was brutal... i was dropping calls like mad.

I feel i have a UN-biased opinion on this matter... I am 35, single parent of one who has an iphone which i pay for!

I find the iphone to be superior in every category over the Blackberry 9700 except one, phone calls. If you want/need a reliable PHONE the blackberry is far better. If dropped/missed calls are not a big deal to you then the Iphone is far better. If phone calls are the primary reason you have a cell, blackberry is the only way to go.

Frankly after 2 months of this blackberry i wish my phone calls were not so important as i liked the Iphone far more. Even simple things like roaming the net are just easier on the iphone. add something to your calendar or even set an alarm is easier on iphone....It's just faster/easier at everything :(

BUT! My blackberry has dropped only one call, this thing is reliable, it wins :(

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Recently gave up my Blackberry for a Droid, I had an 8100 though which is only half a blackberry(the other half being regret, regret for not getting a full size keyboard that is). God I hated typing on that thing. Love the shit out of my Droid though.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
funny... NO iphone users on buses in mississauga, ontario So they either hide them or don't use them... cause I had seen about 80 percent more 'berries than iphones... (10 'berries to 2 iphones)... also I have seen 80% more ipod nanos and ipods than Ipod touches....

I personally can't see why teenagers would use a "business" phone instead of a "fun" phone... (they probably end up costing the same)... so I see these 'berry users switching to another phone (DROID or Iphone) when they think that the phone won't get stolen, or is easily purchased pay-as-go, or unlocked.

Revord

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Gotta tell you guys, I have used an Iphone 3gs, and I currently own a BB Bold 9700. My first choice is the Iphone. For the most obvious reason that its so cool. Plus it has such a wide variety of free apps available. I however picked up the BB for free at a website after Christmas. That was the main selling point, plus the wifi capabilities. To be honest, I dont regret my BB at all. I get everything I want out of it from the Opera browser, to google and blackberry apps, messaging, email, music, video. Are there some things that I would change with it? Absolutely, however, it is by far the one phone I have had that I love the most.

Im not a business person, and in that regard, I guess I am probably the last person to have any business having a phone like this, but its a cool toy to me. I love it, and I ain't giving it up. I would go for a droid just for grins and giggles if AT&T offered one, but such is life.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Thats because the blackberry sucks.

Obama is a moron for thinking its a hip phone.

people want better....do you blame them for getting something better...or do you flame them into keeping such a piece of crap.

agent766

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I don't like the lack of apps for Blackberry. It definitely doesn't compare to an iPhone or an Android phone. I would trade in for an Android as soon as my contract's up. I would go with the Android because I'm an open source guy.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I have a BB. My work gave it to me. It's pretty solid and never misses a call.

On a side note, 15% of 1140 is only 171 people. That's not a huge representation.

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I have the blackberry and would switch in an instant but CAN'T. Our IT dept only supports blackberry. Yes it is a crackberry, but almost everyone would get iphone or android if they could. To crack the market they need to replace BES.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
So the survey is made up of a small sample of self-selected gadget geeks. No surprise that they are eager to change from anything to anything else. Try a truly random sample if you want unbiased data.

Yeah it sure sucks that the fart app selection in the BlackBerry app world store is so limited. Face it, the 'must have' features on the iPhone are all either eye candy or games. Instead of integrated security w/ vpn, you get a fart app. Instead of centralized management capability and realtime push email, you get the millionth bubble level app. Instead of true multitasking you get a multi-touch display. The iPhone is great and if I had to pick one device to entertain myself with, it would probably be the iPhone/iPod Touch. However my phone is for utility first, and entertainment second. I can live without fart apps and a UI from a sci-fi movie; just make it useful and make it work.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with those that state this survey doesn't seem very representative.

The opinions expressed in these comments show, to me, that smartphones are a matter of opinion. Not every phone works for every person.

I'm an IT tech who supports users with all kinds of smart phones (iPhones, Blackberry, Palm, Windows). I personally use a blackberry.

Hands down, the Blackberry tops for business use (rock solid email and texting, great phone reception/use, good battery life). I agree the web browsing trails others (and is my only real complaint). Apps might be lacking, but I have found the ones I want/need (Urbanspoon, Google Maps-with Voice support, etc).

The iPhone is cool and fun, but email is not as dependable and I don't type nearly as well on its touchscreen. I also find some of the "basic" settings harder to configure.

If I were to switch from Blackberry, the Palm Pre is the one I'd consider. Great touchscreen, a real keyboard, and ability to truly have multiple apps running at once (like the blackberry). Battery life was terrible, though.

To each his own, though. :)

ondigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Very useless survey. And so what? I have blackberry, want to try iPhone, nexus one but when it comes to real swap I rather slow down because it is amother gadget

G

The fact is that RIM just does not make quality phones. I know multiple people who own blackberrys and they do not want to own another one. My sister has had hers break on her MULTIPLE times, after getting each one replaced by a refurb.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I will be sticking with my BlackBerry Storm. The problem RIM has is that they are sluggish.

A fully WebKit based browser will be coming out maybe July/August after people have complained about it since the first iPhone came out. Luckily you can install other browsers.

If all you look at is App World there might not seem like there are a lot but most of the apps are not avalible on the App World, you need to search the internet to find most of them.

They are just starting to become active. They will be doing some major updates in the coming months and hopefully some of those updates will make the BlackBerry platform a more appealing platform to the everyday person instead of just the business person.

Man, that sounds like an advertisment. Either way I will be sticking with my BlackBerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.