Solved! Blown channel on amp

pebbleberries

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I have a Behringer EP2000. I was ahving a party and one of my subwoofers was making a weird popping noise. A couple seconds later a big bang comes from the amp so I take it apart and one of the main filter capacitors was blown, I looked up for new capacitors and 1 capacitor is about 10$ but I would probably replace all of them which is about 70$. I was thinking that I can just take the blown board out of the amp and just run 1 sub on 1 channel. Would this work without blowing anything else or breaking a fuse?

I don't know what caused it. Maybe leaving it on for an hour without audio going through it and playing max load right away. Maybe running 8 ohm subwoofers on a 4 ohm amp or maybe just the age of it and being so dusty. Can I take the one channel out? Any help would be appreciated. If I can't fix this, I will have t go with a Behringer NU6000DSP which is like 500$

Solution
You can always run higher impedance speakers than the minimum.
Leaving it on and then running it shouldn't do any harm either.
Age can reduce the values of capacitors. Usually you get some hum. There is a small vent on the top of large electrolytic caps since they need to vent. If it becomes clogged it can go boom.
You might be able to disconnect the bad channel from the power supply and repair it. It might be more involved because the protection circuitry in the amp may still keep it from turning on. Call Behringer to find out for sure.
You can always run higher impedance speakers than the minimum.
Leaving it on and then running it shouldn't do any harm either.
Age can reduce the values of capacitors. Usually you get some hum. There is a small vent on the top of large electrolytic caps since they need to vent. If it becomes clogged it can go boom.
You might be able to disconnect the bad channel from the power supply and repair it. It might be more involved because the protection circuitry in the amp may still keep it from turning on. Call Behringer to find out for sure.

Solution

pebbleberries

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I have it working now. All I did was, disconnect the 1 channel from the power supply and take the fuse for the channel out. I turned it on and it worked. I tried a small test speaker but the compression was insane and with the gain all the way up, it was as loud as a phone. Maybe it was the small speaker causing it or the other terminals I was using for it.

Behringer didn't recommend doing this because it could have damaged something else in the process. I tried to desolder the capacitor but my solder iron doesn't get hot enough and I have no wick. I was thinking that if I desoldered it, it might work because the way the capacitors are set up but I don't want to risk it just popping the other one right away.

I also meant to say, behringer ep1500 not ep2000