Bluescreen and Wireless Network Issue.

Martyn B 16

Estimable
May 21, 2014
Hello,

I'm not sure how we get the ball rolling to help identify the issue but the basic problem is that my laptop appears to be having some sort of hardware issue. There are two issues, one is that I get a bluescreen randomly and other times the wireless network adapter stops responding and Windows is unable to fix it, and the laptop will freeze so I have to restart the the laptop. I either get a red cross on the wireless network symbol or the yellow triangle sign with a '!'.

Can someone try and give me an idea as to what I need to do to help identify the issue?

Thanks.. sorry for the lack of information.

Martyn

Solution
Try updating the wireless driver first. If you remove the WiFi card, do the same problems persist?

I've seen wireless cards go bad, I've never figured out why - but they can. Depending on the laptop, it's usually a simple process because it should be easily accessible from a bottom panel. If there's a Computer Repair Shop near you, they should be able to make quick work of it. If your a do-it-yourselfer, there are a multitude of inexpensive WiFi cards on ebay, and you should be able to find the exact one you have, but wouldn't hurt to get something different if the price is right.

ratedk

Distinguished
Try updating the wireless driver first. If you remove the WiFi card, do the same problems persist?

I've seen wireless cards go bad, I've never figured out why - but they can. Depending on the laptop, it's usually a simple process because it should be easily accessible from a bottom panel. If there's a Computer Repair Shop near you, they should be able to make quick work of it. If your a do-it-yourselfer, there are a multitude of inexpensive WiFi cards on ebay, and you should be able to find the exact one you have, but wouldn't hurt to get something different if the price is right.

Solution

ratedk

Distinguished
The BSOD references bcmw1664.sys <-- Broadcom = wireless. That would be either 1) The driver, or 2) the hardware.

You could try opening up device manager, and expand the "Network adapters" category, and right click to uninstall the wifi items. If you are prompted to delete the drivers, DON'T - just uninstall the device. When you reboot, the computer will identify the missing device, and re-install what it thinks is the appropriate driver.

If the issue persists, try following my solution to this thread

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1913283/laptop-driver-support.html

This may help you find an updated driver for your wifi card that will work :)

If all else fails, replace the WiFi Card.