Discussion Bluetooth receiver triggers "speaker protection"

epzcaw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2015
I have a Sony Gigajuke sytem which is 15-20 years old. Many of its functions have stopped working, but still works as the driver for my Bose Speaker system. I can play CDs, and also play from phone, ipod (yes!!) and PC by conecting to its AUX port with a 3.5mm jackplug cable.

I would like to be able to play via bluetooth and bought a bluetooth receiver: to do this:

Babacom Bluetooth Receiver, Car Bluetooth Aux Adapter, Noise Cancelling 3.5mm Aux Bluetooth 5.0 Music Receiver for Home Stereo, Wired Headphones, Hands-free Calls (16 Hours Working Time/Dual Link)

However, when I plug this in to the AUX port, it triggers the "speaker protection system", which requires me to turn the system off, and wait half an hour for it to recover and of course am no further on.

The speakers (also quite old) are "Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III Speaker System".

Question 1. Can I get a different Bluetooth receiver which will not cause this problem - if so, what do I look for?

Question 2. If this is not possible, can I get an amplifier to drive the speakers which has bluetooth, and what specifications do I look for?

Thanks

epzcaw

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2015
This should have been a question....

But I now realise that I have misdiagnosed the problem. I think the fault is a further failure of the Gigajuke or else the bluetooth receiver has killed it!

I hadn't used it for a couple of months, and started it off to try out the bluetooth device. It started up breifly, and then went into red flshing ligh mode. Switching it off, and leaving off for half an hour or more appears to correct it, but I've now tried running it with a different device, and it plays for a few minutes and then goes into the same failure mode.

So alas, I think it is dying and unuseable. I would love to get it repaired but I don't think this is possible. I don't think there is anything equivalnet available now.

As far as getting an amplifier, I have the specs for the Bose speakers, and can pay anything between £50 and £5000 or more, so that is a decision I have to think about!