Bluray to TV and Receiver

neerukin

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
Hi,
I have a LG Bluray player (BD603) and I would like to connect it to my sony hdtv (KDL-52XBR9) using a hdmi cable for the best picture quality and I would also like to connect it to my Denon home theatre receiver (AVR-791). The problem is that my bluray only has 1 HDMI output. If i connect it to my receiver, i would get good sound quality but not good picture because I would have to use a component cable from it to my TV and vice versa. I do not have an optical cable. Is there any way I can make this work without an optical cable?

Thanks

neerukin

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
If i were to connect my bluray player to my tv via hdmi and use cables to connect my tv to the receiver, would the sound quality be similar to if I were to use an optical cable? My receiver is able to render dolby true hd, dts master audio along wiyh other formats.

Sound quality only depends on what's between the BD player and the receiver (assuming you're not using the TV's speakers).

Video depends on what's between the BD player and the TV (possibly with the receiver in the middle). Lowest common denominator.

You either want:
Code:
/----\          /----------\            /----\
| BD | --HDMI-- | Receiver | -- HDMI -- | TV |
\----/          \----------/            \----/

OR

/----\
| TV |
\----/
  ||
 HDMI
  ||
/----\             /----------\
| BD | --Optical-- | Receiver |
\----/             \----------/

neerukin

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
My bluray player wont work by not putting the hdmi cable into the tv. If i put it into my receiver, then the picture wont show up.

You said that i can connect my bluray to my receiver and receiver to tv but i dont know how to do that. My receiver has hdmi slots for dvd, game console, sat/cable, bluray and arc. Not for tv. I would use arc but my tv doesnt have the arc hdmi slot. I tried connecting the hdmi cable from arc slot from receiver to regular hdmi slot in my tv but the picture from my bluray doesnt show up. Is there a way i can plug in my hdmi to bluray to receiver and another hdmi cable from receiver to bluray?

Thanks

neerukin

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
I see the hdmi port for monitor but it is written arc on it. My tv does not have arc. I tried plugging it into hdmi 2 but the bluray picture doesnt show. The thing i saw was that when i increase the volume of my receiver, i can see the receiver volume bar on my tv screen.

Just to clear things up, I plugged in the only hdmi port i have in my bluray player into my surround receiver. I then took another hdmi cable and plugged it into the monitor arc port into my receiver and connected it into the regular hdmi port into my tv. Like i said before, when i put my tv into hdmi2 and increase the volume from the receiver, i can see it on my tv screen. I cannot see the startup screen of my bluray player.

neerukin

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
Finally, i inserted a movie into the bluray player and i can hear the movie from the speakers and it sounds awsome. But i still cant get the picture to work on my tv screen.