Boeing Phantom Eye Spyplane to Emit Only Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokiardo

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I may have missed the point, but what is the point? Is it a precurser of things to come for aviation? Only 450lbs is rather dismal. Running engines on Hydrogen isnt a very big deal... What am I missing here?

dokiardo

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Alright, figure out what I was missing. The whole first darnned paragraph. Four whole days of flight? That is some cool recon. But wouldn't arial recon be better by using satelites?

G

is emitting only water means it's less likely to be detect (compare with regular 'spy plane') or means it's environmental friendly?

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Didn't I just see this exact same article a couple days ago?

But other than that, very cool. Maybe will lead to a few nifty in the future ;).

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
"...at an altitude beyond the range of even the most advanced anti-aircraft missiles..."

Phantom Eye, meet the SM-2.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
You're all missing the point: the US Military are finally making a stride for the Green: put enough of these things in the air to counter the hordes of A1 Abrams out there. Oh, wait...

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
The solar-powered one that can fly indefinitely (until shot down) seemed a bit more impressive, although that might be smaller - they could probably build a big one too though.

aje21

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Ah, but did nobody notice that this thing has two Ford four cylinder engines AND an array of hydrogen fuel cells... I'm going to assume that the fuel cells are OK for cruising and powering the various avionics, etc. systems but not up to take-off and climbing to working altitude.

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Great job using hydrogen fuel cells. Millions of dollars gone in a split second when that thing explodes. Not to mention the environmental damage.

roleki

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
[citation][nom]asjflask[/nom]Great job using hydrogen fuel cells. Millions of dollars gone in a split second when that thing explodes. Not to mention the environmental damage.[/citation]
Ah yes, who but a madman would use a combustible material to fuel a vehicle?

Er, wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.