Boeing Successfully Tested Laser Cannon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Next we need energy shields, you know to counter those lasers, let's see which will be the first company to successfully test those.[/citation]
Like in Halo!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"The beam control system acquired the ground target -- an unoccupied stationary vehicle"

well thats not really a thorough test, in the real world the vehicles are going to be occupied.

for all they know they could shoot it at a tank, vaporising it but turning its crew in to 50 foot tall super humans... then who's face would be red?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Once you shoot a laser... It's gone.. there is no guiding a beam of light.[/citation]

You are wrong. It is something that is called a "mirror"

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Question... How do you "guide" a laser? Don't you aim it... I'm under the impression a laser would be awfully quick, perhaps the speed of... i dunno, light?""The beam control system acquired the ground target -- an unoccupied stationary vehicle -- and guided the laser beam to the target, as directed by ATL's battle management system.""[/citation]

The actual chemical laser could be guided or walked on to target using another targeting laser (IR). I would think a continuous beam would requires tons of power but I'm no scientist.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
That would also be a great solution for electric cars! If you fire one of those beams on the cells of an electric car (usually on top of roof) they will recharge in a flash! Hence if a terrorist drives an electric car and they try to kill him, they will only give him a boost in his car so he can get away more easily! lol! Bring back the rockets i say!

G

Isn't that a tractor beam coming from the imperial cruiser? Morans.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
LASER's are a lot of fun.One thing simple and fun is to mound a simple 5 to 20 milliwatt 635nm diode LASER pointer on a large hobby astronomical telescope of an aperture of 15 to 18 inches using that telescope as a collimator (expanding the beam diameter but making the beam vastly more parallel at a distance(divergence reduction)).You don't want too powerful of a LASER with too high of a photon density to avoid detection.Also avoid using it in foggy conditions where the beam can be seen from other angles.Then use another large hobby astronomical telescope of an aperture of 15 to 18 inches using it for target sighting at extreme distances.Mound both telescopes coaxially on a stable mound (heavy tripod etc.).Get a police scanner and set up both on a mountain or hill with a view of targets from 15 to 60 miles away in the dark.It's like blitzkrieging France in May 1940.Have fun just kidding folks don't do this.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Next weapons platform? FREAKING SHARKS![/citation]

Yea, but something will go wrong with the budget and we'll have to settle for ill-tempered sea bass instead.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
"Once you shoot a laser... It's gone.. there is no guiding a beam of light."

That is a non sequitur. Further, while I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for dynamic guidance of a light beam while the beam is "in transit", its path is affected by gravity and is therefore technically "steerable".

It would have been more precise to have said that the apparatus was guided instead of the laser beam itself, but the semantics are identical in practice.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
[citation][nom]tmike[/nom]" its path is affected by gravity and is therefore technically "steerable".[/citation]

Wow, they have magically invented photons with mass. LRN2PHYSICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS