Bookmakers Give iPhone 5 Announcement 20:1 Payout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Not gonna lie took me awhile to figure out what the article was supposed to be about.

But now that I figured it out, if I had money to bet (which I don't), I would either bet on the Apple TV, or and extension of the bookstore to include textbooks.

Now back to reading about cool stuff at CES.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I can positively place my bets on that this will NOT be about iPhone 5, that's not very "Apple". Then again, Mr. Jobs isn't here anymore, but still, I doubt this will entail any hardware announcement.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
"Like all tech junkies I’m awaiting the latest Apple announcement with bated breath"

'Real' tech junkies DON'T await apple announcements with anything but skepticism and scorn.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]"Like all tech junkies I’m awaiting the latest Apple announcement with bated breath"'Real' tech junkies DON'T await apple announcements with anything but skepticism and scorn.[/citation]

'Real' tech junkies with intelligence await any modern technology launch with interest, and are man enough not to have irrational dislikes for a company. 'Real' tech junkies don't have 'scorn' for the best current tablet (iPad) and best current smartphone (iPhone 4S), particularly as the iPhone 4S has the fastest CPU/GPU combination in any phone ever.

See, a 'Real' tech junkie would know that and that would necessarily make it relevant. Bitter, insecure, less educated, less well paid, and younger kids, may choose to ignore all of that and live in their own delusional world.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'Real' tech junkies with intelligence await any modern technology launch with interest, and are man enough not to have irrational dislikes for a company. 'Real' tech junkies don't have 'scorn' for the best current tablet (iPad) and best current smartphone (iPhone 4S), particularly as the iPhone 4S has the fastest CPU/GPU combination in any phone ever.See, a 'Real' tech junkie would know that and that would necessarily make it relevant. Bitter, insecure, less educated, less well paid, and younger kids, may choose to ignore all of that and live in their own delusional world.[/citation]
Where is Apple at CES?

Are they treating the show with scorn?

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'Real' tech junkies with intelligence await any modern technology launch with interest, and are man enough not to have irrational dislikes for a company. 'Real' tech junkies don't have 'scorn' for the best current tablet (iPad) and best current smartphone (iPhone 4S), particularly as the iPhone 4S has the fastest CPU/GPU combination in any phone ever.See, a 'Real' tech junkie would know that and that would necessarily make it relevant. Bitter, insecure, less educated, less well paid, and younger kids, may choose to ignore all of that and live in their own delusional world.[/citation]
You kinda lost me after the first sentence. Current best is largely a matter of personal opinion of how well something fits your needs and tastes. Fastest cpu/gpu doesn't mean crap if you hate everything else.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]stupidest thing EVER to bet on what products apple is releasing (or to bet on anything)[/citation]
Not really. I bet on tennis, football and boxing most weeks - i have far more knowledge on tech and releases than i do on sports. Heck, companies like apple are nothing but predictable so in my eyes i'm diving right in!

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]Fastest cpu/gpu doesn't mean crap if you hate everything else.[/citation]

If you're a tech junkie, it matters. Not necessarily meaning you'll want to buy it, but would certainly take an interest in it, I don't think I have to justify the iPad 2, even the most ardent opposition would admit it's the best tablet out there right now.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Where is Apple at CES?Are they treating the show with scorn?[/citation]

So what if they are? Whether Apple attend some show or not has no relevance to whether or not tech people want to know about their products.

Are you concerned that tech people don't get any opportunity to hear about Apple products?

As it happens, Apple is probably not there because of a marketing strategy - obviously they try to market their products as the best option available, and currently have the best selling tablet, and smartphone, of all time. They can generate probably more publicity by creating their own conference, and that way they don't have to share the spotlight. Also, that way they are in control of when they launch their products, rather than having to launch at some arbitrary event at the same time when everyone else is launching. Either way, whatever the reason, it has nothing to do with tech junkies wanting to know about their products.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
While I agree that the scorn comment was a cheap shot playing on the rampant anti-Apple mentality here (to be fair, I hate Apple about as much as any guy could), it was pretty damn funny.

That said, the "best" phone or tablet is hugely subjective. Personally, I'd rather have one of the new, refreshed Transformer Primes than an iPad 2. I'd also rather have a Droid RAZR than iPhone 4S. I really, really hate Apple's ecosystem, and expect to be able to do whatever I like with a product I OWN.

While you may only care about what's shiniest and fastest, I care about other things. Can you turn your 4S into a 4G hotspot with a single touch? Can you replace the kernel with one more suited to your needs? Can you modify the processor's voltage and frequency automatically to save battery life when you're not using it and crank up the speed when you are? Can it play Flash?

The iPhone isn't the end-all, be-all of phones. Some of us like chocolate, and Apple only serves vanilla.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Personally, I'd rather have one of the new, refreshed Transformer Primes'

For me, the only legitimate reason for actually thinking that is having not tried both of them, or just being anti-Apple. I think there is no comparison. As previously stated, even anti-Apple fans are usually honest enough to say that. I guess because you 'really, really' hate an Ecosystem in which your less-than-2-year-old-phone actually receives updates, allows you more security when downloading apps due to at least the semblance of quality control, which causes no problems whatsoever and doesn't prevent you doing anything you actually want to do with a phone, that makes you a little biased. If Apple brought out a Transformer Prime, and Asus brought out an iPad 2 - if your honest you know which you'd pick.

'While you may only care about what's shiniest and fastest, I care about other things'

Actually, I care about hundreds of things, don't pretend to know why I bought my phone. The difference is, all of mine are practical. I want an almost industry leading camera, I want better battery life than Android phones. I want to be able to multi task without the whole phone slowing down. I want to be able to watch Sky Sports on my phone and by proxy, on any television to which I can WIRELESSLY stream the picture. I want access to the biggest app library there is for mobile phones, but I also want to ensure that it is secure and that the Apps actually have to go through an approval process. I don't want to waste hours of my valuable time installing new 'roms' and thereby voiding my warranty or take it further and illegally download apps for free. I also appreciate that for anybody who uses any apps on the iphone 4S, they can clearly be enhanced by having the best CPU/GPU combination, which speeds up EVERYTHING on the phone. Specifically, things load faster, it feels smoother, it never lags, and it's actually capable of playing modern games. Unlike any of the Android handsets, which have to have games designed to run at the lower performance level - the quality obviously suffering. I want to have the option to use a voice control software which actually works - the best of its type, fully integrated into the handset.

All of which Android doesn't do.

'Can you turn your 4S into a 4G hotspot with a single touch?'

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574 (I am making an assumption that you want another device to be able to use the internet - the most useful case)

'Can you replace the kernel with one more suited to your needs?'

Because the 'kernel' which comes with iPhones already works, doesn't contain so much bloatware and slow browsers like Android does, there is no need to change it. Every need I have is completely met by the iPhone, so I would absolutely not want to have the chore of replacing a kernel, and again by doing so void my warranty.

'Can you modify the processor's voltage and frequency automatically to save battery life when you're not using it and crank up the speed when you are?'

You can enable and disable various features which can extend battery life, but since battery life is never an issue with a properly designed device (already fixed iPhone 4S issues aside), I never have a need to make my phone perform worse just to make it last longer. Slowing down the processor on an Android phone is ridiculous anyway since they are so laggy by default, whereas the iPhone 4S interface is properly hardware accelerated. You may as well just buy a Nokia 8210 if you're going to dial down the power to an unusable level. And all the time you spend faffing about with that? I'm SERIOUSLY happy I've never had such an anal problem to have to deal with.

'Can it play Flash?'

Yes, of course. Simply download Skyfire. I know that may not be the 5 hour exercise you seem to want to get any kind of usability out of your phone, but hey, it works. As it happens I don't use any websites which use flash since it's a pretty much obsolete platform anyway, which absolutely destroys battery life - I most definitely wouldn't want to use it on my phone, particularly on one as inefficient as Android.

What saddens me most is that people like you speak about the 'ecosystem' which you dislike, but you really don't have a clue what it actually means. There is not a single useful thing which can't be done with an iPhone that you can do with a typical Android phone, it's only for people who have some kind of money issues or some need to try and find an alternative to the popular (common sense) purchase. Or, for people who are so insecure they define themselves on being 'techy' and mistake ease-of-use with lack of capability. Android as a whole is solely increasing due to there being so many manufacturers, selling at much, much lower profit margins - no individual handset outsells the iPhone - and that say a lot. Being 'closed' is a nonsense since the source code to the previous version of Android was never released. And by the way, the reason it is 'open source' is purely because it infringes on so many copyrights, hardly commendable. Similarly, the reason other manufacturers use it is purely because it's less expensive than developing their own.

And besides, despite your long rant, the iPhone doesn't have to be the best to make my point valid. It simply has to be of interest to tech heads. Finally - no tech head is so naive and pathetic to be so misguided as to what they can and can't do on an iPhone - it's amazing how many kids still think you need iTunes.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I find it quite amusing that in the first four iterations of the iPhone since other competitors had a better CPU/GPU combination, Apple fans argued that specs were irrelevant. Now for the first time Apple's iPhone has a GPU/CPU combination better than the competition, and promptly to Apple fans specs were relegated from being irrelevant to become of the utmost importance.

The same view is also valid to Android (or any other OS/phone maker) fans. They ridiculed Apple for not having the best hardware, and now that they do specs in their mind suffered the same shift as above but in reverse.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]Fastest cpu/gpu doesn't mean crap if you hate everything else.[/citation]

If you had said only CPU ghz (instead of cpu/gpu) then you would've describe android !!! :)

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Since watcha's begging to be flamed:

The iPhone 4S released October 14th 2011, or about 8 months after the arrival of the first Android smartphones with dual core SOCs. On arrival it was the fastest phone on the market by a small margin, for roughly a month before faster android handsets released.... the highest end Android devices hold a small margin of victory currently, until quad core devices are released in February, at which point the performance difference should be enormously in favor of the best Android devices. And by the iPhone release cycle, we may see a repeat of the iPhone device being a clearly inferior choice (by hardware) for another 7-8 month period.

Or are we going to be delusional enough to say something as absurd as "the iPhone 4 wasn't slower than Andorid devices with dual core cortex A9 SOCs! It was totally faster, and better because it has an Apple logo!"

Please. It's pathetic.

As far as tablets go.... The Transformer Prime is superior to the iPad 2 in most specifications. 1.4GHz Quad Core processor vs 1GHz Dual Core, 1GHz of RAM vs 512MB, SD Card support vs no SD card support, dock with keyboard and extra battery life vs no dock, higher resolution display, 8 MP camera vs .92 MP camera.... the only category Apple wins, is the GPU. Trying to say that the iPad 2 is still the best tablet is.... delusional.

I'm talking about mostly hardware here. Since the software side of things is more of a religious debate on the forums for some reason.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'Personally, I'd rather have one of the new, refreshed Transformer Primes'For me, the only legitimate reason for actually thinking that is having not tried both of them, or just being anti-Apple. [...][/citation]
Holy crap, that provoked one hell of a response.

To be honest, I really didn't read all of your post. Only took a few sentences to get the gist. "Blah blah blah, Apple is better than everyone and has no flaws blah blah blah." Yeah, I hate Apple, and you're clearly in love. How is it that I'm the only biased one here?

I've owned Apple products. My first smartphone was an iPhone 3G, and I had an iPhone 4 before I swapped it for an Android phone. My opinions aren't out of ignorance, as you so desperately need to believe to protect the brand you have such an irrational need to defend.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that some people want something other than an iDevice? But please, go on telling me how biased I am for not having the same opinion as you, because there are clearly no merits to Android.

Fanboy.

G

What's and iphone? Is that why all you people are staring at your feet all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.