Bookshelf speakers don't sound the same after being moved to a different room.

sexysvinjina

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
I own a BTD7170 Hi-Fi system from Phillips. When I first got the system, the speakers sounded pretty amazing. The bass was really deep, tight and nicely balanced with treble. That was in a room of about 21m2 in size. After moving them to a different house, to a room of about 11m2 in size, the deep bass completely dissapeared unless you sit in the absolute back of the room where it's heard but is very boomy. Also as you go louder the tweeters completely overpower the woofers and it just sounds awful.
A dumb friend of mine told me to seal off the ports and it just made it worse so I left the speakers ported.

Currently the low end is about equvalent to a JBL Charge 2+ bluetooth speaker, just louder.

Is there anything I can do other than to just buy a different system or a separate woofer?

Solution
All down to acoustics. The size of the room and speaker placement will matter greatly as to what sort of sound you get, and where you notice certain frequencies. For more bass, You could add an active sub, or try putting the speakers nearer to the floor, and in corners really helps (if poss).
But if the speakers are where you really want them, you would need to get yourself a subwoofer.
For mid and high frequencies, you ideally need them around ear height.
All down to acoustics. The size of the room and speaker placement will matter greatly as to what sort of sound you get, and where you notice certain frequencies. For more bass, You could add an active sub, or try putting the speakers nearer to the floor, and in corners really helps (if poss).
But if the speakers are where you really want them, you would need to get yourself a subwoofer.
For mid and high frequencies, you ideally need them around ear height.

Solution

Do you hear yourself talking? She looks magnificent in room#1, then she looks awful in room#2, I gotta get me another model! Maybe the problem is with the room?

Room acoustic dude, just like that other fella says. Yes it's harder than just throwing money at it, although that too can hire you an acoustic engineer.