Boot laptop from hdd instead of ssd

waqas_7

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Hi guys, I just bought a Toshiba m2 ssd for my Dell xps 9550. Previously it had 32gb ssd and 1 TB hdd. Ssd was empty and system boots from hdd. But if I remove the old 32gb ssd and insert 1tb new ssd, laptop tries to boot from it, since it doesn't have any windows installed so system does not start. The weird issue is that if I don't insert any ssd but only hdd then system says no bootable device found. I am stuck here.

Solution
If only on the one removed, then you can't do anything until the OS is reinstalled. If the OS is on the installed drive, then it should boot from it, unless the boot order is off.

waqas_7

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

Actually the 32gb ssd was in the laptop while I installed windows 10 on my hdd. Now I have removed the 32gb ssd but the system is not booting from hdd and neither its detecting new Toshiba ssd. I want to install windows on my new ssd or clone the hdd to ssd whichever works.

waqas_7

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Last time windows was installed when 32gb ssd was in the laptop. Does it have to do something with this? Now I am unable to boot from hdd or the new Toshiba ssd. Windows is installed in hdd.