Bootmgr missing from an ascer aspire one d270-1824

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheese5209

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hello,
After partitioning my hard drive, I removed the partition as it was no longer needed. I started downloading something and went out for the night. When I woke up the next morning my laptop was off. I turned on the laptop; the bootmgr missing message appeared. When I purchased this laptop it came with no CD-ROM drive, or recovery USB drive/disc. Is there a way to create or get my bootmgr back or get into the recovery partition that came in the hard drive?

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
What partition did you remove? All laptops should come with a "hidden" recovery partition which you could use (but it is destructive in the sense it will put the laptop back to factory default like the first day you got it and all data would be lost you would need to put the drive in another computer and do a back-up if you want to keep your data). Just be careful when you play with partitions not to remove system partitions. I would suggest you use Hiren's boot cd which has a tool to repair missing bootmgr problems, but if you deleted the whole system partition I'm afraid it won't do the trick.

cheese5209

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
It was a partition I created for down loaded content like music, movies etc etc. I did not remove the recovery partition, I may be a novice at windows based OS. but I know better then to remove something called "recovery" as a partitioned part of the HD. I have no external CD-ROM, as for using a USB, I don't know if I can.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
You say it's a partition you created but usually these Acer laptops come with only one partition (C:\) that will occupy all the space (minus the recovery partition) so you would need to re-size that partition first before being able to create a new one. By the way, even a data partition (non-OS) could have some system files on it like the page file, crash dump, or more, etc... What tool did you use to remove the partition? If you use the Windows 7 built-in Disk Management I believe it should warn you before deleting the partition if it has some system files on it (might not even let you delete it I'm not sure). But if it was really just a secondary data partition with no system files on it, I have no idea why the bootmgr would be missing on next reboot. If you don't have an optical drive, you could put Hiren's boot cd on a USB stick and boot from it and try their "fix missing bootmgr" tool. Other than that, if you don't mind loosing data, boot on the hidden recovery partition and it will restore the laptop to it's original state including partitions and everything. Here's how to do it on a Acer laptop:

http://www.geekpolice.net/t7449-acer-system-recovery-partition-hotkey-instructions-erecovery

cheese5209

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Yeah thinking I'm just SOL until I can get something in the way of a recovery file outside my laptop. Groovy. I could care less about the information on my laptop, but I do have some pictures I would not be able to get back. Oh well, just my luck. In an off chance, would the winzip registry fixer(program I'm guessing to fix registry errors) have anything to do with it?

nukemaster

Distinguished
You need to attempt to make a Windows boot USB drive and try the startup repair option. If it is just a missing boot loader, windows will fix it for you.

As far as i know, Pendrive's universal usb installer should boot windows. ISO's can be picked up all over(legal and all.)

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Universal USB installer. I will test this my self quick for you please stand by.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

They also have a Windows 7 repair image you may be able to use as well.

Trying to ensure that Universal installer does in fact work with Win7 and the recovery option.... please stand by.

EDIT

Yup, loads fine. So as long as you have an ISO for the version of windows you are using, you have nothing to loose by trying the Universal Installer and startup repair option.

Status
Not open for further replies.