Question boots in 2 mins unless i remove ssd!

Apr 22, 2019
I recently reset my laptop to give it clean to my niece.. its a dell inspiron 7577 gaming with an i7 and 1050ti. Windows 10. 16gb ram and 128 ssd m.2, anx an extra kingston hyper x 240gb ssd for good measure.. The Kingston ssd has been formatted and is completely empty, the samsung m.2 drive being the os drive..
My problem is on boot up, it now takes 105.2 seconds to start. I havem been through disk management, bios setting, boot settings and nothing i could do on the computer would work.. it keeps taking upwards of 105 seconds to boot... The only thingvthat solves the issue is to remove the Kingston ssd completely.. The bizarre thing beinv though, that drivd has never had the os on it, ever...

Could someone do me a favour and help me figure this out..
Thanks.

If you are talking from a cold boot. As in completely powered off and starting up from there, that isn't a bad time at all. If it is from sleep or hibernate, then that would be a long time.

While the drive you are referring to has never had the OS on it, that doesn't mean it isn't taking longer to start up the computer with it installed. The additional drive is likely being checked and started during the process, which would make it a little longer.

Did you make sure to install all updates? Did you update the drivers? Also, did you make sure that the drive you added is completely clear and formatted correctly as well as correctly compatible for your computer (not all drives work on all devices).

One other thing you may want to check... Go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Now be careful in here. Messing with the wrong thing can cause no end of problems. Go to the "Startup" tab and check that there is nothing starting up with Windows that is making it take longer.

Apr 22, 2019
I am used to my machine with all the same ingredients (same drives) starting up in around 6 seconds..This is from cold.. I have done all driver updates, all windows updates, cleared all caches. I have disabled all unnecessary start up programs.. I had been using this laptop without issue over 15 months and the only change, is that I reset that machine to factory setting to give it away clean.. Proper head scratcher..
Cheers

It only taking 6, from completely being powered off (not just sleep or hibernated) is rather odd and extremely fast. Perhaps, when you did the restore something old was added. Totally possible.

The system restore you did, did you do the full one, to totally wipe the device? The following versions.... or something else?

NOTE: These only work from within Windows.

In Windows versions prior to 10, you should be able to...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then click "Recovery."
  2. Next click "Advanced Recovery Methods."
  3. Now click "Return your computer to factory condition."

And in 10...

To do this go to "Start", then "Settings". Next choose "Update & security" and then "Recovery" Here click "Get started" and select the option you wish to use. From here just follow the on-screen instructions to restore Windows 10 back to how it was upon leaving the factory.

Apr 22, 2019
From cold, my pc normally starts up in approx 10 seconds and thats full to burdting with programs and files etc.. Thought that was jusf the norm.. note though, the boot drive on the laptop is m.2 ssd.. The reset was a complete from the factory reset in win 10 restoring the laptop to out of the box set up. All personal data wiped. Which it did. Save for this one issue.. I have connected my samsung t5 external drive to it and boot up, no issues at all.. it is just that one drive that is causing the problem. The drive itself works, when it finally boots up i can access and use it.. I am at a loss here.. nowhere online can i find an identical or even similar issue..

Apr 22, 2019
Sorry to confuse stuff.. os is on m.2 drive which stays in the machine, and with thst in alone, all is well.. the problem is when the second drive is in.. the problem is, before reset, both were in and boot time was excellent.. now i havd to removd the secondary ssd to get it to boot in the correct time frame.. This is the head scratcher. Drivers updated, registry cleaned, cache clear.. updates done.. If the thing didnt run perfect before, j would just move on and say whatever, but it did, and now i need to know whst the reason is. As said above, both drives wotk perfectly once boot up is complete , so itsnot like we can even say the drive is faulty, but forcdomecreason, being in is a problem.

Hmm. Another thing to try would be to go into BIOS and uncheck the secondary drive. Yes this will make it not show in Windows, but it is only to try and 'reset' the way the system looks for it. Perhaps it is not registering correctly. Once the computer has restarted and loaded windows, confirm in Windows that that the drive isn't showing. When done, restart the computer again and enter BIOS. Recheck the secondary drive (making it active) and again let the computer restart and try to load. See if this shortens the time.

Additionally, in the boot order, make sure that drive is listed second and the main drive listed first.

Apr 22, 2019
Hi mate.. busy week so only just got to it.. Did as you suggssted and now i am stuck.. Keeps saying no bootable drive now.. but through exiting the bios, can boot, but each time it try and reboot, samething, no bootable drive... dont know wtf is going on now save, i clearly know alot less than i thought i did..

Figured this out, unchecked an option in bios when should have been left.. so thats one problem to ignore.. the original problem stubbornly digs its heels in though

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019
I am grateful for your time and effort.. Its bizarre to say the least.. the drive works, so what is happening to the boot is one of those questions that will go unanswered.. I will use it as an external drive and just let my niece have it with that when dhe needs some dxtra storage..

If in the mean time anyone comes up with anymore ideas, i will try and see if they work when i see my niece..

Cheers..

Apr 22, 2019
I haven't found a solution yet, but alittle update. I got hold of another ssd and put it in the laptop.. Issue continued, which would suggest its not a drive issue (or atleast not the removed drive) and more likely something goinb on with windows instead.. Not sure yhat makes it any easier to figure out, but its something atleast..