Both SOPA and PIPA Shelved Due to Recent Events

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
"Meanwhile, Hollywood is blasting Google for supporting anti-SOPA protests, claiming the search engine giant is distorting facts about what the bill would actually do. "The Protect IP Act does nothing more than make it possible for the U.S. government to handle illegal foreign websites in the same manner it can already do -- and has been doing -- with illegal sites,""

So according to that, SOPA/PIPA actually does nothing?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I've heard this before. I suspect they will sneak it in under the radar attached to another Bill.[/citation]
Most likely a military approriations bill, coz no congresscritter would ever want the military to go wanting.

G

Why would Hollywood condemn SOPA?! They are just stating facts what this bill would do if this will be passed. Yes PIRACY is big issue but you don't need to block EVERYTHING in the Internet. Also Hollywood can't even produce a decent film nowadays. The only original movie they have produce for the past 10 years is Inception. Everything else is based on comic book characters (i don't mind :)] , video games and remakes from past movies. What i suggest is the big companies stop being greedy and offer better service to get movies, video games, music etc. Not overprice, overhype and bad quality service we have nowadays.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]This proves people at least have some what control over some things congress does.[/citation]

No, it just means that big brother tries to take away freedom a bit at a time, and if they miscalculate they have to backpedal quickly. Hey, does anyone remember that Patriot Act thingy that did away with some of our rights in the name of security? Yeah.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Dear PIRATING IDIOTS WHO MAKE LIFE HELL FOR THE HONEST CONSUMER:

Pirates will always try to justify their actions.

"I would not have bought a diamond necklace, so its okay to steal one" is equal to "I would not have purchased a video game, movie, or that music - so its okay to steal one". Either way, it wasn't yours to take was it?

The issue is not whether it results in lost revenue or not - the issue is that you did not have ownership rights to it. Stop taking what is not yours through illegal and unethical means, and trying to justify it so you can do whatever you want without a conscience/guilt.

/rant

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
"Everyone does it" - Also not justification. At some point society needs to realize that it has become morally corrupt and no longer respects the individual. I realize that capitalism is broken because of monopolization and mass marketing. (A music artist makes millions because he sells to so many people, and it just seems wrong when there are kids starving for love, food, a warm bed, and education). Still, two wrongs don't make a right.

There's an old saying: "If you want to change the world, start with yourself."

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Ah, now all they /the pirates, the bad ones/ are foreign criminals /the stress is on the "foreign", but criminals according to which law btw?/, who steal from the /pure/ Americans. Lets aim our guns at somebody, who doesn't vote for the american president and the congress.
A new measurement of "low".

niyosha

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
@JonnyDough:

I agree that piracy is a crime, but to call it "stealing" is simply incorrect. Copyright infringement is copying, not stealing. Seems like a matter of semantics, but it really is a huge distinction. Think of the difference between making a copy of the Mona Lisa and stealing the original.

G

Everything ██████ ███ ███████ ██ is █████ ████ ██ ██████ ███ fine. The █████ ███████ ████ Government ██████ ████ knows █████ █████ ███ best █████

This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed

G

How about Hollywood stops ripping off the rest of the world for its movie ideas, it's either a comic/graphic novel movie, or a shitty remake of a good european/asian movie. Until then, this attack on foreign sites that pirate is utter bullshit

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
lol when software company learn that selling software copies in mass quantity in ultra low price is the only way to kill piracy. Selling 10 more copies @ 5USD is more profitable than selling 1 @ 40USD.

ruthlis

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Screw hollywood thats why they gloat about making millions of dollars opening day for their movies,people still buy tickets,dvds and rental fees.
Musicians wouldnt be known if it wasn't for the internet , prior to that, Musicians had to do real work . Why do they charge $50+ for a ticket to see their shows, free rides over bi*ches.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]quote: Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property, criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy," he added.obviously these people are still living in the cold war. the problem in not concentrated there anymore, it's global! sure they want and think that there 30 year old speech is gonna still work, but doesn't look like it does anymore.sorry for the quote, I'm writing from my thrive tablet,[/citation]

um, you go through hong kong or any of those mainland asain cities today, and you can buy movies still in theaters, shows that don't have dvd release yet for about 1-5$ at most, those countries have the largest counterfeiting operations, to the extent where they have as high if not higher quality counterfeit releases than the official releases.

these areas are also the ones that have actual sale of counterfeit material, apposed to america where its mostly just piracy. [citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]I am not a fan of the MPAA or the RIAA. I'm also not a fan of SOPA or PIPA. I'd also like nothing more than to see all 4 of these fail horribly as they are all out of touch with modern consumerism and loaded with unnecessary greed harming and pissing off consumers. The reality is however, people do lose jobs from piracy. If businesses don't make their target "profit margins" they will and do lay people off. THQ cited their bankruptcy and layoffs was directly due to the pirating of Titan Quest series.I'd love to see industries involved go to a model like Steam or GOG. It would benefit all involved.[/citation]

titan quest came out in a time where i didnt have a good enough pc to run it, and due to its drm, i'm assuming that was the problem, it wouldn't even run when i did have a good enough computer.

great game but the drm really held that back, correct me if im wrong, but it was also a game that came out, and at its time, required a fairly beefy computer to play it at any quality right?

i remember that was another sticking point and why i didnt buy it outright when i did get a good pc, and went demo instead.

on my current pc, its easilty one of the best rouge like games i played in years, i consider it better than the diablo series, maybe not 3, but i dont like the direction 3 went. [citation][nom]RapidoInternetestes[/nom]I'm still not convinced. The people that never purchased the title, and pirated it, most likely would have never purchased it if pirated copies were unavailable. Look at HAWX 2. It was so bad, nobody bothered to crack it, and nobody bothered to buy it either as a result of it being largely unavailable to the pirate community. The only thing that is for certain though, is that THQ failed to produce a product (Titan Quest) that was compelling enough to purchase.Anyway, back to the article. I'm glad this has all been put on hold. I'm still not convinced that piracy of data, cleverly arranged combinations of 1s and 0s (games/mp3s), has any huge impact. There's no physical medium that's been taken from a store shelf that would represent a loss of income for the creators and retailers. I'm still going with the assumption that people would pass on purchasing regardless of its availability on the net.I'm a reformed pirate. I'm much more selective about the titles I really want to play, and purchase them. I no longer feel like I need to "try out" every new release to see if I like it. I stick to website reviews and gameplay videos on sites like youtube.[/citation]

titan quest is the best game in that genre i played in years, cant call it out on that... but most people wont consider games like that unless its diablo or under 20$

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Dear PIRATING IDIOTS WHO MAKE LIFE HELL FOR THE HONEST CONSUMER:pirates will always try to justify their actions."I would not have bought a diamond necklace, so its okay to steal one" is equal to "I would not have purchased a video game, movie, or that music - so its okay to steal one". Either way, it wasn't yours to take was it?The issue is not whether it results in lost revenue or not - the issue is that you did not have ownership rights to it. Stop taking what is not yours through illegal and unethical means, and trying to justify it so you can do whatever you want without a conscience/guilt./rant[/citation]

if i coult pirate a mansion, my own country, a ferrari, skeleton rolex, and a diamond encrusted gold toilet i would

physical to digital is not a 1 to 1 coloration, realistically digital is far less, but in law digital is about 1000 times more damning to get than the physical.

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]"Everyone does it" - Also not justification. At some point society needs to realize that it has become morally corrupt and no longer respects the individual. I realize that capitalism is broken because of monopolization and mass marketing. (A music artist makes millions because he sells to so many people, and it just seems wrong when there are kids starving for love, food, a warm bed, and education). Still, two wrongs don't make a right.There's an old saying: "If you want to change the world, start with yourself."[/citation]

the musician doesn't even make a fraction of what the people who found him and only fronted a bit of cash make. people who are truely good at what they do dont tend to make it, just because you would have to pay them more than lets say 4 people with a decent voice to dance on stage.

and lets look at it realistically, musicians make their money off of tours, not off the cd sales unless they just sell retardedly insane amounts.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]lol when software company learn that selling software copies in mass quantity in ultra low price is the only way to kill piracy. Selling 10 more copies @ 5USD is more profitable than selling 1 @ 40USD.[/citation]

however some things like 3ds max and to some extent photoshop would lose over all money doing that. if photoshop cost 100$ with a 50$ upgrade path, that may be a different story, but not at what, 390-500$ a new copy, they are already the industry standard, selling cheap for a consumer would sell less than they do now.

you have to wonder if some software even cares if its pirated at this point (not talking games, real software)

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]What American jobs are lost to piracy? Please, this is an honest question, can someone let me know? 1000s of them are lost each year to piracy! So, what are they?[/citation]

pirate dvd store because people are downloading directly

moosehawk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
"The Protect IP Act does nothing more than make it possible for the U.S. government to handle illegal foreign websites in the same manner it can already do -- and has been doing -- with illegal sites,"

-- Then why pass a bill on it if the feds are already doing it?

tman0013

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I think the only companies that are preventing pirating in a realistic and proper manner are the video game companies that offer free things within the game only with a purchase. Or even better, only with a pre-purchase which is pretty much making money before the game is even released and helps project income. When I go the movies, I go for the experience. I love the giant screen the popcorn,etc. I will continue to go to the movies no matter what I can get online. Yet maybe I don't want to pay 30 Bucks for a movie that I get 2 hours worth of fun out of then put away for a while unless it's brilliant is the reason why people go to these sites. How about these companies QQ. Don't go cry to your government because you can't find a way to attract more revenue. And the fact that the government is making this a big issue when you have REAL issues to deal with is insulting to the people. This will always be a world that is run by the rich and if the rich can't make every little cent to themselves they get the government (Made up of these rich jokes of HUMAN beings) to protect them. Get real Senators, this isn't about 1000's of the people's jobs being lost, this is about your riches.

Status
Not open for further replies.