Bought a $500 Laptop, considering returning it. Can I get better?

Lucavious

Honorable
May 19, 2012
So recently I bought a Dell Inspiron 14" N4110 laptop from Best Buy because I needed something cheap to do homework on at the library. When I got home I put Starcraft II on it just for giggles, but to my surprise it actually ran pretty damn well. I tried WoW too, and it ran fine. I was always under the impression laptops would never work for these games, but here I was playing them.

I tried playing Diablo III recently and unfortunately at lowest settings it chugs. It can ALMOST handle it but it just can't. I'm nearing the end of my 30 day return policy and I'm considering swapping this out for something that can run Diablo III smoothly even if its on lower settings.

Could anyone please help me? :bounce:

1. What is your budget?

$500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

No larger than 14"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Doesn't matter.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Nope.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not picky as long as it doesn't die after Word processing for an hour.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Low is fine as long as it's smooth.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Word processing, internet browsing, Diablo III playing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Doesn't matter.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

No preference.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Don't need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Doesn't matter.

13. What country do you live in?

United States.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Getting a laptop to play Diablo 3 for 500 dollars is a bit of a joke. I checked on BestBuy, and it seems that the laptop you're using runs for 579.99- confirm please, whether or not that's true.

Lucavious

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Found it at Best Buy new for $500. I've looked around online and seen it as cheap as $400 so I don't think the one I'm using is necessarily the best deal. I know nothing I get will run especially well, but the opportunity to shop around is here so I'm just trying to do what I can to take advantage of it.

14" isn't a hard limit, but I'd prefer not to go larger because I do still use it for school and I don't want anything that going to crush the desk I set it on.

edit: This doesn't match my model number but the specs seem to be what I have and at the price I paid. Not sure why the discrepency.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+14%22+Inspiron+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Diamond+Black/4590137.p?id=1218493899434&skuId=4590137&st=inspiron%20n4110&cp=1&lp=6

Don't forget to take into consideration the 15% restocking fee and I believe they only have a 15 day return policy. So... if it has been more than 15 days, then they may not allow you to do so; it's up to the store manager's discretion. If you were to buy a more expensive laptop, then that would increase your chances of that happening.