Bought bigger SD card, now phone won't let me move apps to the SD card.

Vanessa_15

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
I had a 4gb SD card on my phone and basically ran out of space. So I bought a 128gb one. At first, I transferred everything from the old card to my computer, then from my computer to the new card. Problem was it was not letting me move any new downloads to my card. Someone suggested formatting the card. I did this, and tried downloading one app and moving it to the SD card. Now it's telling me can not move to SD card, insufficient storage. Please help!

Solution
You shouldn't need to do a factory reset. It sounds like the card, having been formatted on the computer, may not be viewing correctly on the phone. Also, your device may not be able to handle a card that big. It seems that is correct... if you go here.. http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_fierce_2-7154.php ... you can see it says the card can be up to 32 gb.

To upgrade higher, I am not sure you can. You would have to see if there is another way to do it, other than the standard update through the phone. The device may not be able to since it is a few years old.

Rooting isn't going to help with a card issue. At least not a size issue. That is dependent on what they manufacturers restrictions on the device are. As noted above, your...
Well it is going to really depend on what device you have, what OS you are running, and how the card was formatted.

Formatting on a computer is not usually a great idea. It would have been better to connect the card to the device and format it there, then connect the phone to the computer via USB and then copy the stuff over to the phone.

Now, in regard to setting it up to download direct to the card, first you will need to have a phone running "Marshmallow". If you are running anything lower than that, you can't put most apps on the card and you can't download directly to the card. If you are running "Marshmallow" you will also need to have a device that allows this setup as well. Some devices don't allow it.

Also, anything you put on the SD card prior to installing it to the phone (if you fit the criteria above) will be erased when you make the card "Internal" vs the standard "External", which is required to download direct to the card.

Your best bet at this point, if the phone is running "Marshmallow" is to put everything back on the computer, clearing off the card. Then insert the card into the phone and choose to make it set as "Internal" storage rather than "External". After this is done, the card will be only able to work with this device. So you would have to connect the phone to the computer via USB to place everything back on the card. This should also then allow you to download direct to the card.

Vanessa_15

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

I have a acatel one touch fierce 2. It's android version 4.4.2
When I clicked update, it told me system is up to date.
I tried formatting the sd card and even when it was empty, it still tells me no room on card.
Is marshmellow something I can download and install to my phone?
I guess next question would be can I just backup everything, do a factory reset and then put the fresh card in?
I tried the whole root thing, downloaded an app to move apps to the Sd card and it still told me insufficient storage.

You shouldn't need to do a factory reset. It sounds like the card, having been formatted on the computer, may not be viewing correctly on the phone. Also, your device may not be able to handle a card that big. It seems that is correct... if you go here.. http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_fierce_2-7154.php ... you can see it says the card can be up to 32 gb.

To upgrade higher, I am not sure you can. You would have to see if there is another way to do it, other than the standard update through the phone. The device may not be able to since it is a few years old.

Rooting isn't going to help with a card issue. At least not a size issue. That is dependent on what they manufacturers restrictions on the device are. As noted above, your device seems to be restricted to 32gb.

Solution

Syd_1_

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016