Boy Dials 911 After Parents Take Away Xbox

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
[citation][nom]Nick_C[/nom]Parents should be chastised for not instilling a sense of proportion into their offspring.[/citation]
At least these parents were trying to do just that.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]stickman2[/nom]Im curious though... What if the kid bought the xbox with his own money and hooked it up to his own monitor... im not talking about gifts he received, but stuff he purchased himself. Could he not claim theft against his parents?[/citation]

Not when he is using their electricity..and living under their roof, and possibly using their internet.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
" The boy asked authorities if his parents were within their right to take away his Xbox"

this is what you get in a law suit crazy society. every idiot thinks they have the right to do anything.

G

its called response cost or positive punishment(if your negative behavior decreased), not negative reinforcement. Take psychology......That is all

G

"Im curious though... What if the kid bought the xbox with his own money and hooked it up to his own monitor... im not talking about gifts he received, but stuff he purchased himself. Could he not claim theft against his parents"

Nope, he lives with his parents and he's under 18.

Shawnb03

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
[citation][nom]rbarone69[/nom]This would have been cause for a severe beating in my house.[/citation]

That would teach the little punk, mess with the bull, you get the horn!!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Kids today believe in entitlement, which in turns make a person like this. Punish me? Well how dare you. Who do you think you are? So I got bad grades, suspended for whatever, or arrested for something stupid. You have no right.Such crap. These kids need to learn that there are consequences to various actions. Of course some of these kids have obviously not learned this from their parents for whatever reason, or least not yet, and if they don't they will have a big wake up call later on in life.And they said my generation (Gen X) would be the ones to bring the world to an end. Maybe that skips a generation[/citation]

tthis mentality permeates the last two generations as well, It's why pirates run rampant and many of these youngins think they are "owed" or "entitled" to the illegal stuff they downlaod. i cant reacall how many peoepl in my gneration (geeration x ) and teh millenial gneration , that seem to think they have a right to every thing that' isnt nailed down. i think largely this mentality is due to the "pussifing" of parenting for these and younger generations, you can't whipa kids with out some bleeding heart calling it abuse , hell soon they will be tellign us we can't gorund our kids from tv cos it's abuse .. well that is BULL shit , i'm a strong beleiver int eh "belt makes behavior" line of parently , as well as "spare teh rod , spoils the child", don't get me wrong i'm not talking about whiping a kids ass till it turns purple and black.. but this little shit if i were his dad he would most certainly get a few pretty red stripes on his bottom to display for a week, from my belt

damn jsut sick and tired of the nation of pussies we are raising these days

cmarkham

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Of COURSE he called 911! He didn't have anything else to DO. No XBox, he's sitting around the house....no media...no entertainment...

"Hey, what's this box on the wall? Has numbers on it. No screen, no contact list....Oh! You can dial that emergency thing. Hmm. Dammit, why'd they take away my XBox! Man! Not my XBOXXXX!! I should bust them for that. Could I? With this 911 box? I'll just ask if its legal if they can do that to me. 9...1...1. Oh, sh#t, whatthef##kamidoing! Man, I'd better go outside and get straight."

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ponchato[/nom]This kid is an idiot, there's no doubt. But, to all of you morons commenting:I want my kids to show respect to me, not show complete submission. I'm not here to teach them to completely give in to any kind of control. You might as well teach that 'monarchies are the best government'.I showed respect to my parents when I was a kid, and still do. I was by no means a bad child. I did well in school, didn't get in fights, but I did argue with my parents. Not when they were thinking logically (Go to your room for 1, 2, etc hours for swearing) but when they were being irrational (You are grounded from the TV for a week for saying 'crap').Stop acting like your children are your only option for control. If you act like that, you frankly aren't important and will likely never control anyone more than just your children.[/citation]

I can tell you're one of the kids who felt they were "entitled"...

Yes you're kids should respect not fear you, but that has nothing to do with submission or monarchies (the fact you went to that extreme tells you felt entitled). As a child you should submit end of story. You are not you're kids friend, you're a parent. Does that adovcate abusing them as you seem to imply? Of course not, but it does mean you're word should be law in you're own home. You say you argued with your parents when you felt they were irrational. YOU ARE THE CHILD,. HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU DEEM SOMETHING AS IRRATIONAL? I could see if they were abusing you, but taking you're TV away? Poor child...

I'm tired of seeing parents afraid to be parents. The people who commented to this fact aren't morons and I can guarantee you that their kids won't call 911 in this situation. Your's on the other hand....

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Maybe too young to go to jail?

Also it amazes me as to how the parents can afford to give kids this shit when there is still something called "A recession" I mean what the crap?

I have absolutely no faith in humanity these days and for good reason.

As gpj stated, most kids these days are fucked and it's sad to see them act like this.

If I were to ever have kids, I'll be sure they don't do stupid shit like this.

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I'm a kid and I'm 15, I've read every single damn comment... +1 to all of you guys... I had my parents take my DS/Computer/TV last time... Got a bit angry but later i realized my thoughts were more focused to studying... (WHICH WAS WHAT I USED TO LACK)..
What that bloody shit did was to cause more work for the police... I mean don't hog the emergency no. u bloody fool.. Someone who really needs to dial the no. because of break ins and etc. will be in a loss...

That 15 year-old guy better go and get the book: Respect Parents: For Dummies/Fools/Idiots.. whatever

Tweedledum

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]stickman2[/nom]Im curious though... What if the kid bought the xbox with his own money and hooked it up to his own monitor... im not talking about gifts he received, but stuff he purchased himself. Could he not claim theft against his parents?[/citation]

Oh dear, it was you wasn't it!

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
my parents use to take the screens (all of them: TV, PC, iPod, phone etc.) away when i did something pretty bad...this kid gets it easy

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]gpj[/nom]Another liberal? Give me a break... politics have very little to do with how much kids are spoiled these days. Over here the kids from left wing parents paint graffiti on garage doors, center leaning kids are being caught selling drugs at school, and kids from right wing families are rolling their brand new Jeeps (with 6 people, 5 unbuckled) while speeding and talking on their cell phone. It's all delinquent - kids these days are SPOILED. Period.[/citation]

Wow.. never knew that "right wing" kids drove jeeps.
Your stereotypes are very amusing.
Sounds like you have some underlying issues to deal with.
My post has nothing to do with politics.. only the liberal mindset..the denial or refusal to except responsibilities for your actions. Instead of finding excuses in life.. people should deal with their actions. My son is 17.. and has lost his xbox privileges before.. he just deals with it.
How is that kid going to deal with a demanding job or life in general if he cant even handle getting his xbox taken away?

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
If you raise your kids correctly, you don't usually end up in this situation to begin with. I've rarely had to revoke any priviledges, and even when I've had to, he instantly showed regret for what he had did and accepted the punishment. That being said, there have been 3 times total I've had to actually punish my child. Otherwise, he gets straight A's/B's, doesn't miss school unless he's really sick and never really mouths off. He's sarcastic as hell, but so am I. /shrug

Raising your kids right, leads to them not calling the cops when they get something taken away. Yes, the kid made a pretty dumbass move in the story, but you also have to wonder about the parents as well and why the kid would ever think to call the cops in the first place.

Sure, there are problem children which need extra attention (maybe corporal punishment?), but for the majority of kids this is not and never will be the case.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
If this were my child, he would never play another video game again. Zip, nada, none...that would be a negative on the X-Box, GhostRider. Have a book instead, and no, not a Kindle or a Nook.

Status
Not open for further replies.