Brace Yourself for a World Without Facebook

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Even if they don't actually take down Facebook I would like to see them get a hold of record of them selling people's private information and to which companies and for how much

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]You know Anonymous has already denied this right? They had no plans to attack Facebook.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/science [...] ebook.html[/citation]

Daily mail writes:
A chilling computerised voice said: ‘Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed.'

What asses, don't they know that's Microsoft Sam?

anacandor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
While I understand that this is a tech site and the majority of people here don't go partying or clubbing (thumbs down imminent), I don't think you guys understand just how useful facebook is to find everyone you met the night before.

If you meet a lot of chicks in one night you definitely aren't going to get all their numbers. Never fear though because you may just need their first name to find them on facebook, or search friends' friends for a dp that looks like them.

To all the people that say "die facebook, die" evidently don't have anyone to socially interact with...

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I feel sick. Not just a little upset, but full on ill. Never thought I'd have these feelings or say these words.

Go (sigh) Anonymous (sigh) Go.

Now I feel dirty as well.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]BAAAAAAHHHHHH BAAAAAAAHHHHH BAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH.. That's what you all sound like.. A bunch of sheep.. You all hate on something just to hate on it, so you can be in the "cool" crowd. And half of you are probably hippocrits. Blame facebook for people not being productive, yet you probably stand up for games even when others use the same back ass logic against them. Facebook doesn't hurt any one other then the stupid. I personally use it to keep in touch, and even play a little bit when I'm bored at work (theres only such much desk work a 12b can do lol). Facebook is a tool nothing more. How it is used is simply up to the people that use it. And trust me I'm pretty sure the government has better ways of keeping tabs on you without you even knowing it other then look at your facebook page lol.Personally I don't care if facebook does go down, but quit trying to make a big thing of it. Even if they managed to do so.. Nothing would change.. They did nothing to help the people out. How about go after large corporations/government and post some useful crap, so we can take them down or at the very least get it in the open.[/citation]

I have to agree with you. Everyone is cheering on Anonymous because they don't like facebook.

Well, IMO I think they are a terrorist group. What Anonymous is doing is saying they are "Anonymous" and basically acting for the good of the people, and that may seem correct to a lot of people who dislike facebook, sony, ect.... BUT, from my point of view, they are trying to destroy our individuality, our freedoms, freedom of pursuit of happiness, freedom of choice, freedom of free enterprise. We all have a right to start our own business's, how would you feel if Anonymous suddently decided you couldn't? Zuckerburg might not be the best person in the world, but he is the apitame of the american dream. A single kid who became rich off his dream. And weather or not you as a person like him or not, does not change the fact that he has a right to his dream, "freedom to pursuit of happiness" is part of our constitution. That is what Anonymous is destroying.

Another thing, I really don't feel that they are speaking for "The people", yes, there are "A LOT" of people who don't like facebook, but there are millions and millions of people who do. And it is there choice to use the service, regardless if it has "security holes". What company doesn't? The best company in the world has security holes. Thats a fact of life on the web. It's something we are going to have to get used to, and just deal with it without placing blame. Nobody is perfect, especially coders. There are a lot of mistakes that they make, being tired, staying up all night coding, it's hard.

Ask yourself, can you code a better security system?

How can all you stand behind Anonymous? They are steeling passwords, personal information, and posting it on the internet for criminals to steel. It might not affect rich people that bad, but I grew up poor, and now I live paycheck to paycheck, and let me tell you, something like this, could ruin a lot of poor people financially.

I'm kind of ashamed of a lot of people. The way people think just isn't to smart. Thats why I have to agree with Kingnoobe. Lot of followers on here. People need to start thinking for themselves.

Anonymous is basically, IMO, a terrorist group. Yeah, a lot of people stand behind them.
Well, let me tell you, a lot of people stood behind Hitler to. Hell, Hitler was Time Magazine man of the year one year.. Anonymous is no different then Hitler, or Al-quada. They all claim to be doing the world justice.

If you stand behind Anonymous, just remember, 10 years down the road groups like this could be running the world, causing chaos and havok all over the world. IMO, they should be stopped.

Anyone here about Onstar getting hacked into because they have no security? What if Anonymous starts blaming them, and hacking into peoples cars causing airbags to go off, or causing crash's somehow? What if they start hacking into hospitals and shutting down life support systems, or power during an operation? This could very well turn into a matter of life or death.

This isn't a politics site, but everyone is taking sides without thoroughly analyzing things.

Think, think think people..

Rant over, just wanted people to here my opinion. Please don't destroy me for my opinion or my individuality Anonymous.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]LOLi ahve a face book account but i barely ever check it so no loss there , it's not teh end of the world. but that said , i find it insulted that this group says we are all stupid. een IF and this sia big IF , even if face book sales data to goverments is it seriously that important ? so teh goverment knows i draw , blay bass guitar , went to such and such high school and i think cowbows suck , not like i got anything highly personal on facebook[/citation]

Fuck yes it is that importar[citation][nom]anacandor[/nom]While I understand that this is a tech site and the majority of people here don't go partying or clubbing (thumbs down imminent), I don't think you guys understand just how useful facebook is to find everyone you met the night before. If you meet a lot of chicks in one night you definitely aren't going to get all their numbers. Never fear though because you may just need their first name to find them on facebook, or search friends' friends for a dp that looks like them. To all the people that say "die facebook, die" evidently don't have anyone to socially interact with...[/citation]

Call me crazy but I still grab phone numbers...

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I love FB and Apple articles. lol

What's up with all the hate? Don't use it if you don't like it. I especially love the "Aside from keeping in touch with friends and family, FB is worthless/crap/stupid." comments. There are alternatives in keeping in touch. Google it...lol.

To all the guys not on FB, please explain to why you hate it so much. Do you just hate it because it's popular or because it makes you feel superior over the "dumb" FB users?

As for Anon taking on FB, good luck to them. I hope then can they can pull it off. The looks on my friends' faces will be priceless. As for my account, I'm only worried about my plants dying and the cows, pigs and chickens humping each other.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Robert Del Percio[/nom]the fact your on here reading this or commenting on it means you have no-life and those who deny this are full of shat. Facebook is a pox on society that needs to go away. I hope they succeed so ppl will know what the fresh air and sunshine feels like again.[/citation]
Funny how you say that, yet, you're on here. Oddly enough, I have a life (OMG, say it isn't so!). Happy to hear, though, if you do any reading, you think that person has no life. I'm sure you're just bustling with intelligence and knowledge.
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]fixed[/citation]
Thanks for that "fix" to show that you have no respect for the people that risk their lives so you can have the freedom to make that post. Next time you want to make fun of someone in the military, maybe take your head out of your rear and take a look at the country millions have given their lives to create for you. Thanks.

As for Anon, well, said it before and I'll say it again. For the basis and principals of what they stand for, I agree 100%. People have to start sticking together on issues, not to "be cool", or get laid, it's for a far more fundamental reason then that. Quality of life. These corporations (yes, FB is one) want for nothing more than to subdue the average person into a state of low-waged, mindlessness so we're happy with having nothing, and working ourselves to death for it. Anon is trying to open people's eyes with regards to some of the companies and the practices they engage in. I really do wish them luck, and look forward to what's going to happen (if anything). Worse case scenario, nothing happens, we're disappointed, we continue with our lives as normal. Best case? Maybe some people will start to realize that we're all being used, the middle class is getting murdered, and the only thing people are doing about it is complying and trying to bring down the guy next to him. A revolution is coming, and it's not just gonna be web-wide.

G

It would be wrong to support the destruction of something that other people use just because you do not use it or do not agree with it.

In fact doing so sets a precident as dangerous as anything the controversal the government has ever done.

People (who believe it or not, do have minds of their own) Choose to be, or not be, anonymous online, and they choose what products to use, what services to buy, and which companies to do business with. This is Their choice, not Yours.

Anyone who forces these choices on other people suddenly becomes the greatest threat to their freedoms and liberties.

Perhaps the reason we all jump up in support of this behavior is because we have forgotten what freedom is and why it matters.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]technobowl[/nom]I use Facebook once or twice a day and loathe it.[/citation]
I hit my head with a frying pan once or twice a day, and also loathe it. If only there was a solution.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
they wont be able to and I don't agree with their decision to destroy it.

I believe in freedom which means not imposing your will upon others. I don't like facebook and anon doesn't like it either. thats great but for those who like it, let them use it. If you want others to not then educate them to your point of view and let them change, if you use force then it will not fix anything, those people will still want to use facebook.

Also people should know that when you post something online on a public site, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. facebook also has made it clear and showed time and time again that what happens on facebook stays on a government server along with the servers of advertisers.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Facebook is an affront to privacy, Apple an affront to freedom and technological literacy. Facebook, and Apple are the two companies I hate the most, right up there with Blackwater, Big Oil, and the Junk Food industry.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Uh oh, look out spam on toms hardware!! Looks like security issues...[/citation]

ROFL, They deleted it....LOL..... now don't I look stupid.... Touche tomshardware... Touche...

Status
Not open for further replies.