Brand new gaming laptop, internet running very slow.

Kidscamp11

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I just got my new Dell gaming Inspiron 7567 laptop in the mail today. Everything is working fine and then I went onto the Internet. It's running very slow. I don't know if it's the wifi I'm on or something wrong with the computer. I paid a good amount for this so if anyone knows something PLEASE let me know. I'd like to game and browse the Internet in peace.

Solution
You should be able to go to their website support section and enter your systems service tag numbers. It will offer you drivers for the system. However, compare the versions on the website to the ones installed (looking at the most recent available). You can access the device manager by right clicking the "This PC" icon on the desktop, go to "Properties", three will be the option for the device manager on the left side. There it will list all the hardware and you can check driver versions.

Or

Look for a program called Dell Update, or something along those lines, on the computer and run that.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I'd give it a little time, when the computer first setup Windows, it's undoubtedly getting a handful of updates and depending on how old the image Dell put on it is, it could be getting some large updates.

Kidscamp11

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

And if it continues to be slow?

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Have you run speedtest to see what kind of internet performance you are getting?

If it's done all the Windows updates, then go to the Dell website, or use their update utility (if its on there) and see if there are hardware updates from them. Once everything is fully updated, if it's still slow, try turning off your anti-virus. If turning that off helps, then you can try reinstalling it to see if maybe it's just a corrupt installation.

Worst case scenario is having to call Dell and get their help.

Kidscamp11

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

I'm not too familiar with what's a good internet speed. But it says the ping is 41, download is 13.11 mbps, and upload is 4.55 mbps. It also came preinstalled with a free 12 month subscription for mcafee. I don't believe I have any other antivirus programs.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Norton and Mcafee can be very intrusive. As I said, try turning it off.

13mbps isn't bad, what speed are you paying for? You have to remember that you can only load a website as fast as the site feeds it to you and depending on the traffic on the site, it can be slow. After all the updates are done, see what kind of speed you get. Also, if using internet explorer or edge, try Firefox instead, I have found its a pretty good browser.

Kidscamp11

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

I do use Firefox too. Idk how to check for the Dell updates though

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
You should be able to go to their website support section and enter your systems service tag numbers. It will offer you drivers for the system. However, compare the versions on the website to the ones installed (looking at the most recent available). You can access the device manager by right clicking the "This PC" icon on the desktop, go to "Properties", three will be the option for the device manager on the left side. There it will list all the hardware and you can check driver versions.

Or

Look for a program called Dell Update, or something along those lines, on the computer and run that.

Solution