Brand new gaming laptop is very slow...HDD 100%

Marcg_88

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Hey all, i recently purchashed this laptop :

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-asus-fx53-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-red-intel-core-i5-7300hq-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-10-fx53vd-bs51-cb/10573737.aspx?

Asus fx53v :
i5-7300 HQ
HDD 1 TB 5200 rpm
12 gb ram ddr4
Nvidia gtx 1050

I booted it up and installed windows 10 that came with it out the box. it took 2 hrs to do the updates.
And i find it very slow to load windows, boot, open apps or do any task at all... the HDD is constantly at 100%

Thought the HDD was at fault and returned it this morning to get another one and same thing happend.

Do i really have to spend another 150$ for a SSD to run windows 10 at an acceptable performance with those specs ?? it makes me mad.

Solution
Yeah, it is likely bloatware trying to consume all your laptop's resources.

Click on the Windows button, then click the little gear icon that says "Settings" when you hover your mouse over it. From there click the Apps icon that will list all the applications installed on the laptop. Take screenshots and posts the links; I want to see exactly what is installed. I am heading out for several hours though so I will not respond back until very late tonight or sometime tomorrow.
A HDD running at 100% all the time is not normal and installing a SSD will not fix the problem.

Right click the task bar, then click on Task Manager. Click the Processes tab to see what programs are accessing the HDD. It could be some bloatware that is installed on the laptop. Posting a screenshot of Task Manager results would be helpful.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Windows is still updating in the background. If task manager reports soemthing like svhost to use a lot of disk usage then thats whats going on.

Marcg_88

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
It has 84 window processes running and 64 Back ground processes and 4 Apps that are daemon tools, microsoft management console, task manager and windows explorer....

Not sure how to post pictures because I need to give a URL to the photos

Marcg_88

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Also....all of the processes are running literally at 0 mb/s or 0.1 mb/s for the rare ones.

The laptop i bought yesterday i had it running all night thinking it could be updates but 10 hours later (this morning) it was still very slow and hdd running at 100%..So i replaced it thinking it was defective.

PcNerd1337

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

do you know what can stop this or minimize it so it wont be 100%? install os on different drive? 4more extra hdd in raid? cause idk if u can stop wins10 updates.. my net is slow so my pc is at 100% for like 5hrs.

Instead of typing your response in the text field, click the black "Post An Answer" button to get to the screen that offers some tools. It is on the right just above the text field.

You should see an icon that looks like a box with a green center. It is next to the bold italicized letter A. Click on the box icon an a little window will appear where you can past the URL of the image from whatever image host you are using.

Marcg_88

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
fpgqUv
g7EoGa

https://ibb.co/g7EoGa

https://ibb.co/fpgqUv

USAFRet

Illustrious
This is almost certainly all the preinstalled bloatware running all over each other.

ByteFence AntiMalware vs ACMON vs Daemon Tools Lite vs this vs that vs all that other crap.
This often happens.

Either uninstall a bunch of that, or do a full wipe and reinstall a bare OS.

Yeah, it is likely bloatware trying to consume all your laptop's resources.

Click on the Windows button, then click the little gear icon that says "Settings" when you hover your mouse over it. From there click the Apps icon that will list all the applications installed on the laptop. Take screenshots and posts the links; I want to see exactly what is installed. I am heading out for several hours though so I will not respond back until very late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Solution

Marcg_88

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I have deleted many bloatware and the laptop seems to be running fine now...i will still post pictures later because gf is playing the sims 4 on it currently ahahah

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Marcg_88 : "Brand new "gaming laptop", windows 10 really slow with HDD 100%"

exoreptile

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

Hi I have the same laptop as you and what are the boatware you deleted ?

Feb 26, 2018
5400RPM mechanical hdd is not enough for Windows 10, period. Install a 7200RPM drive or preferably a SSD. My wife recently bought a laptop with a decent i7 cpu, ddr4 ram, dedicated gpu etc and the manufacturer put a 5400RPM drive in it. I put a $100 240gb SSD in it and now it works as you would expect - amazingly fast.

Manufacturers seem to cut their costs in the worst areas & bottleneck the laptop/PC with a terrible HDD.

rgd1101

Don't

Manufacturer cut cost because consumer want a cheaper laptop