Solved! Brand New Laptop - What security/software tools should I use?

bharms

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I've been just using Norton Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware, along with Window's disk defrag tool for the last 3-4 years with my machines. However, having just purchased a brand new laptop (PC), I would like to make sure I'm doing everything I can to optomize its performance for the longest time possible.

So far I was considering using...

Security:

1.) Sophos Anti-Virus (provided by my school, though I'm not sure how good it is)

2.) Immunet Protect, which supposedly is designed to work in tandem with another anti-virus program, though I'm really unsure if it will be helpful or not ( http://download.cnet.com/Immunet-Protect/3000-2239_4-10965674.html?tag=mncol )

3.) Some sort of anti-spyware software, is the Lavasoft Ad-Aware still the best, or would something else be better?

Disk Tools:

4.) Easeus Todo Backup - to image a copy of my freshly installed and setup to my liking new system, which I can restore quickly and easily whenever I would want to reformat

5.) Some sort of hardware monitoring device - I've seen people talking about monitoring the temperature, along with other aspects, of their hardware through software - what program would do this well for me?

Can anyone with some experience help me out by saying if the programs I'm planning to use are good or bad choices, and by suggesting other programs or anything I'm not think of? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Solution
I agree with Avast! free version for a powerful machine, and MSE for a system with lower end specs. I also have Malwarebytes free version that does not run real time but can be used for quick scans. Also you will have to manually update it. I have successfully used MS backup for imaging in win 7.

frozenlead

Distinguished
You don't really need 2 antivirus programs unless you're doing a lot of downloading from questionable sites. AVG is free and good enough; I've been running it for years and have never heard a peep from it. You also don't really need anti-spyware software if you're careful with where you go on the web. Don't open weird emails, and don't click on every button on a web page that looks like you won something. Not running so many protection applications will keep your machine running faster.

You don't really need hardware monitoring for a notebook unless you experience problems or are running at high load often. Just keep the fans and heatsinks clean of dust, and you'll be fine.

If you're looking for real security for your files and documents, look into TrueCrypt.

bharms

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I'm a decently savy internet user, but that is not necessarily the case for all the people who use my computer at one time or another. Also, I like to stream video from the net, and many of the websites that host files or link to them seem to be high risk sites.

In any case, I would like to know what software would do the best at detecting and preventing any kind of malicious infections, whether virus, spy-ware, or what ever. I've been disappointed by both Norton Anti-Virus and McAffee, and I'm concerned about Sophos, as I can't find any recent reviews since it appears it is a product for corporations, not for individuals.

Josea

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I agree with Avast! free version for a powerful machine, and MSE for a system with lower end specs. I also have Malwarebytes free version that does not run real time but can be used for quick scans. Also you will have to manually update it. I have successfully used MS backup for imaging in win 7.

Solution