Solved! Broken laptop connected to TV moniter, only shows mouse with black background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2020
I have a broken samsung computer connected to a TV. I have been able to use it without any problems.Today,though, the TV screen only shows the mouse/curser with a black background. I have tried: turning the laptop on and off, disconnecting and reconnecting to the TV, FN+F5, CTRL+ALT+DELETE, removing the battery. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please reply. I urgently need to use the laptop. Thankyou!

Solution
I'm not sure what your signal source is so this may or may not help you. I have a motorhome. We go south for the winter. It has a 2007 vintage flat screen TV in it. Two winters ago, I used Amazons Fire stick to stream on this TV with no problem. Over the summer I got a new Fire stick. I used it at home for several months and everything was fine. We took it on the road with us last winter. When I hooked it up on our first night out, I got a black screen like you describe. The TV worked fine without it. After doing a lot of research, I learned that the new Fire stick has a validation on power up that looks for a response from the TV before proceeding. It was some kind of piracy prevention I can't remember much more than that...

OneifbyChar

Prominent
Jun 29, 2020
I'm not sure what your signal source is so this may or may not help you. I have a motorhome. We go south for the winter. It has a 2007 vintage flat screen TV in it. Two winters ago, I used Amazons Fire stick to stream on this TV with no problem. Over the summer I got a new Fire stick. I used it at home for several months and everything was fine. We took it on the road with us last winter. When I hooked it up on our first night out, I got a black screen like you describe. The TV worked fine without it. After doing a lot of research, I learned that the new Fire stick has a validation on power up that looks for a response from the TV before proceeding. It was some kind of piracy prevention I can't remember much more than that. When it doesn't get it, it goes black. I had the same problem when I hooked up a newer bluray player. Someone in the RV park where we were staying had a 2 year old Samsung TV they sold us for $50. The fire stick and the bluray player both worked on the new TV. I remember reading that Amazon sells some kind of digital splitter that blocks the request from peripheral device and lets the signal pass through. I never went that step because the $50 TV was available and I didn't have to.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.