Brother is hacking into my Pc

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Soo, my brother somehow managed get into my pc with a phone and a usb.. And i really dont like that, because its my personal computer and i dont want anyone to go and play video games on it. Soo, because im tired of it and i dont really know what to do about it i searched alot of forums and theres nothing about it... What to do soo my brother doesn't hack into my Pc with a phone and usb or other stuff.? Thank you for help peeps. I hope u do help me ...

1) You probably put a lot of garbage on it so time to reformat your computer. If you had 7 or 8 and haven't upgraded to 10, do so now.
2) Install only trusted applications, steam/origin games, Office, etc.
3) Create an administrator and regular account (two total), put a strong password (using characters a-z A-Z 0-9 and !"#$%&'()@+*;:-=_ with at least 10 total characters, using no real words) on both accounts (different ones) and make sure the passwords aren't written down

That should stop 99.99999% of problems

robax91

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Get a wireless card for your PC (wifi or BT). Put a really long, complicated password on it. Get a wireless Mouse and keyboard that connect directly to your PC (not the kind that use a dongle) then input the long complex password to hook them up for the first time. After that uninstall your USB drivers and go to hardware manager and shut the USB connectivity off (disable the usb hardware). Now he can only access the PC with wireless (which is hard because a good password on wifi or BT can take months to crack using brute force) and you should be good.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Is the PC your personal property that you paid for? If so delete his account. TELL him he can't use it. If you are not willing to have an adult conversation with him that's your own fault.

If he cannot understand this concept and you still choose to live with him for some reason then lock him out. If possible do so physically. If not the simplest way is with a BIOS boot password. It's absolutely trivial to get around a basic Windows 7 admin password if you have physical access so don't expect that to do anything for you. Using bitlocker encryption would help

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Im 100% legit, never had a torrent in my life. Only use steam and other legit programs.

Slumy__57

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Salvis : "Brother is hacking into my PC"

Without further specifying your problem, we can't give you definite advice on your problem. If he knows your password and is simply logging into your computer, there is a simple solution. If he is remotely connecting (which I highly doubt), the solution will be a little more involved.

If he is just logging into your computer, change your password often, never let him get your password, always lock your computer every single time you walk away from it, even for a 30 second bathroom break.

EDIT: I saw you had a previous post regarding this problem, be careful, Moderators will shut you down for repeating posts. So your brother is getting into your PC using a USB drive, assuming he's using the same method earlier.

The solution to that problem, is to lock your bios up with a password, and this will prevent him from booting to the usb, HOWEVER, do not forget your bios password, or you will have a bigger problem on your hands. If you want to be extra safe, use bitlocker to encrypt your hard drive too. HOWEVER, you REAAAAAAALLY don't want to forget your Bitlocker password, or all of the data on your hard drive will be gone, and COMPLETELY irretrievable.

If you want my two cents, just set a bios password, your brother doesn't strike me as an overly intelligent person, as hacking someones personal computer against there will is an ignorant thing to do, and screams script kiddy. Setting a bios password should (IMO) completely shut him down.

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Hello, Yes I know that I have another one of these questions, but this one is different. I don't think that he knows my password or even uses an USB, and I don't know how he does it, and Yes I do lock my computer every time I go somewhere. SO i don't know the problem and I don't know what to do.

Salvis

Slumy__57

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Well that makes this slightly more involved. He may have installed some kind of software on your pc in order to get into it. It would be very hard to pinpoint exactly what he is using, but my mind jumps to a keylogger, which would allow him to look at anything you type into your computer, including your password.

If I were you, I would put everything I care about on the pc onto an external hard drive, then perform a complete system restore on it. The system restore will remove anything your brother may have installed on your computer. Then, I would set a bios password, disable booting to a USB, and possibly encrypt my hard drive, then put all my important data back on the computer.

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

ahh. is it possible to do it somehow differently?

Salvis

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

And how can i see if he has a keylogger or anything else on the computer? is it hidden?

You are "legit" clueless about computer security. Every single "counter" you stated is simply from a lack of knowledge. Luckily you can still learn to defend yourself. The best thing you can do is:
- Put all backup files on an external disk and do NOT access them until you are 100% set up
- Borrow a keyboard from another computer you know is not bugged
- Reformat using the media creation tool on a usb ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 )
- Make sure to use a secure password, use an imaginary word if you want, but also include !#$%&_? and numbers but NOT with simple substitution (leet speek = 1337 $P33|<). Use at least 10 characters, something like fUdRug$28! works well
- Before you do anything buy and install a proper AV software, Bitdefender, Kapersky, Trend Micro, Norton are all good options
- Install ONLY absolutely necessary software. No "stat trackers", no "mods", no "widgets" of any type