BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - Need Help!

tobbyperron

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Hello, so basically I now own a new gaming laptop from Asus, the FX53VD. I bought it from NewEgg, blah blah blah, here are the specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz 47 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
8,00 Go Single-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GL553VD (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
VX228 (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 37 °C
ForceWare version: 388.59
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 38 °C

Now! Since at least a week, I think I gathered over 50 BSOD by either playing Rust, Ark or just casual web surfing. Here are two examples of the most recurrent "Whocrashed" Reports:

On Thu 2017-12-21 23:32:19 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1E1643)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFF978CEB78E060, 0xFFFFC08DE7A47C40, 0xFFFF978CF12FD2C0)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvami.inf_amd64_89f7cf8737769707\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.59
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.59
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.59 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

On Thu 2017-12-21 22:09:38 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122117-30984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1640E0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFC8027A5CC060, 0xFFFFEA8C7F26F7F0, 0xFFFFC802806BC750)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Now what steps have I done already!

1. Reupdated all drivers
2. Got tired of it, restored my computer to zero
3. Did the same thing again, lost hope and downloaded DriverBooster
4. Uninstalled driverbooster and now here, writing a full article about my problems.

I will give a Rust steam key to anyone who helps me out to fix it all! Thanks to evryone!

Zack!

Solution
Without going too much further, you said the laptop is new; have you considered simply RMA'ing the laptop if it's crashing out of the box? Another cause for blue screening is hardware issues such as power supply or graphics card physical problems. If you've completely cleaned out the drivers with the DDU procedure, turned off Windows automatic driver updates, and tried 1-2 older drivers and are still getting that many crashes it could be on ASUS to deal with it.

It's either the driver or the card that is the issue though I still believe. Nvlddmkm points directly an NVIDIA.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Your issue is caused by your graphics card driver malfunctioning, or perhaps the card. It is best to follow this procedure:

1. Disable automatic updates for drivers in Windows
2. Install Display Driver Uninstaller https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
2. Boot into safe mode. Windows key+advanced startup+restart+troubleshoot+advanced options+startup settings+F5 for safe mode with networking
3. Run DDU. It will strip out ALL driver packages, remnants, and jump. Select clean+restart.
4. Boot into normal Windows mode. You should see a change to a lower resolution, this is normal.
5. Download the latest driver package from NVIDIA preferably using autodetect or from the OEM website. When installing the driver, use custom install and only select the driver and Physx. The other stuff can cause issues.
5.5 Repeat this process with on older driver if this does not help.

If you are not getting any luck changing the drivers, if the laptop is new I would consider an RMA.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Without going too much further, you said the laptop is new; have you considered simply RMA'ing the laptop if it's crashing out of the box? Another cause for blue screening is hardware issues such as power supply or graphics card physical problems. If you've completely cleaned out the drivers with the DDU procedure, turned off Windows automatic driver updates, and tried 1-2 older drivers and are still getting that many crashes it could be on ASUS to deal with it.

It's either the driver or the card that is the issue though I still believe. Nvlddmkm points directly an NVIDIA.

Solution