Question BSOD when using/enabling AMD GPU in Lenovo laptop

Aug 2, 2019
Firstly, hope you have a good day kind sir and miss beautiful.

My Lenovo laptop model Ideapad 300-15ISK goes into BSOD boot. Then I found out that the problem lies on the GPU which is Radeon R5 M330 because when I disabled the device then it becomes OK but whenever I enabled it again or installing the driver for the device (maybe it enabled the device to test with the installed driver) then BSOD appears again.

Several of the BSOD error is "thread stuck in device driver", "video tdr failure" and "unexpected kernel mode trap". But now that I know the problem lies in the GPU, how can I try to make it work again? I tried all almost 3 versions of latest amd drivers and the WHQL driver from Lenovo support site https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/my/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/300-15isk/downloads but all leads to the same error.

I suspect that the GPU is already faulty at a hardware level and there's not much that can be done because it is soldered onto the motherboard but I hope that I can get some sort of advice or conclusion to this problem.
Guess I'll have to make do with just the Intel GPU then T.T .

You need to not be searching for the latest drivers and let the computer search for and install drivers on its own, which can be done in "Control Panel". Remember, just because there are new drivers doesn't mean they should be what you are using. Not all computers use the same drivers, so you could easily be installing drivers that are not right for your device and will only cause problems.

Try uninstalling the drivers for that GPU and then use the option to have the computer search for drivers for it. Once that is installed, then reboot and see if you can use that GPU again.

Now if it won't work after that, you may well need to have the GPU replaced.

Aug 2, 2019
You need to not be searching for the latest drivers and let the computer search for and install drivers on its own, which can be done in "Control Panel". Remember, just because there are new drivers doesn't mean they should be what you are using. Not all computers use the same drivers, so you could easily be installing drivers that are not right for your device and will only cause problems.

Try uninstalling the drivers for that GPU and then use the option to have the computer search for drivers for it. Once that is installed, then reboot and see if you can use that GPU again.

Yeah actually when the problems first arise, I formatted the laptop and no BSOD after the windows installation. But a few minutes later BSOD happened again then I wondered why. It is because when I clean install windows the driver for the GPU is not in the system yet so no BSOD. Then windows automatically updated all the drivers which lead to BSOD again when the driver is installed. I have been going through safe mode multiple times to disable the device for the GPU using device manager then rebooting. But when I tried enabling it again then BSOD happened.

Now if it won't work after that, you may well need to have the GPU replaced.

Yeah I think so. Is there any kind of repair/service that can be done if the GPU is faulty?

Aug 31, 2019
Just for your information, there is no problem with your GPU as a hardware. I faced recently (and today once more) the same issue with the ATI in that particular model of Lenovo. After a clean format system works fine, till it auto-updates its ATI drivers, to the MS directed one, and after that, VOILA... BSOD.
Till now only, as you already mentioned, disabling the ATI is a solution, and work only with the INTEL GPU. Still hoping for an ATI Driver update ...sometime!!!

Oct 4, 2019
Just for your information, there is no problem with your GPU as a hardware. I faced recently (and today once more) the same issue with the ATI in that particular model of Lenovo. After a clean format system works fine, till it auto-updates its ATI drivers, to the MS directed one, and after that, VOILA... BSOD.
Till now only, as you already mentioned, disabling the ATI is a solution, and work only with the INTEL GPU. Still hoping for an ATI Driver update ...sometime!!!

I have the same problem as you have with the same laptop model and the same driver . Have you found any possible solution?