Bsr eq 14 14xr equalizer spectrum analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBeery

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I need a power transformer for my BSR EQ 14/14XR equalizer-spectrum analyzer. The primary winding has failed (It's dead - primary winding shows open circuit). Please, help me find a proper replacement transformer? RBeery@i2k.com

probably there is a generic replacement if you know what voltages the old transformer was rated at, unfortunately I don't see any schematics around, and you might be better off buying another one, if you don't want to get involved in a major project.

RBeery

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks for your reply. You are likely right. I'm one who is familiar with electronics without much fear of this kind of project except for the lack of available information. This unit has better features than most otherbrands and models and has worked for years. But it just quit recently. I immediately opened it up to find three facts. The power transformer primary is now open (no continuity on any ohms range). There are four taps on the power transformer secondary. I suppose I could estimate the relative turns ratio s by measuring resistance (assuming the secondary is one continuous winding of the same guage wire). Thirdly when I opened it up almost immediately there was still about 14V DC from the winding to ground (coming back from the filter capacitors, I assume). It didn't go down very fast while measuring it so the caps still carried a healthy charge. That surprised me since I would expect the rectifiers to blocked any voltage from showing up on the transformer. I didn't try measuring across the filter caps. Perhape a diode shorted and the primary gave way instead of the secondary. (I didn't see a fuse anywhere.) More daunting yet is the fact that the secondary had four taps with a 4 conductor flat cable going to the circuit board. Too many variables! I even thought of trying to feed perhaps 12 V AC from another transformer across the secondary and let it be ab autoformet to create the other voltages needed. But I don't want to guess wrong and burn up the circuit board. So I am thinking what options I have - including watching for one on eBay. This model doesn't show up very often.

Again Thanks for your reply. Let me know if you have any other ideas I might try. RWB

Rory33

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
i would ask around to know if anybody else has the same product.
then they could give you the parameters you need to buy a replacement that meets the same characteristics.

you need voltage output level
perhaps the frequency of the output
perhaps the impedance of the transformer

DoubleJ

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

If you give up on the equalizer, I would be interested in purchasing the analyzer microphone that goes with the unit.

RBeery

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

Thanks for your interest in the BSR microphone but I also use it with other equipment so I don't plan to sell it. Thanks. Ron

Blueeyztoo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

hello, What does the mic look like. Does it use a battery in the mic or pick up phantom power from the unit. One of the outputs from the power supply could hve been what powers the mic. I would suggest finding a eq from BSR even another model as most shared components like that. I have bone it many times on DBX stuff. Let me know about the mic, Roger

edison2001

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Did you ever resolve your issue? I have a similar unit with another problem. My unit had a 6.00Mhz crystal completely corroded in its place that should be an easy repair, however there was a 4.000Mhz crystal floating around within the box. I do not know where it goes. Do you know if this unit has 2 crystals?

twomble

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
The 4.00 MHz crystal goes under the spectrum analyzer display in the front. You will need to pull the front board out to get at it. I just replaced mine and found the replacement crystal on DigiKey.

robinmr

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

I'm not sure if you're still looking but I'm about to dispose of my BSR 14/14XR which has been behaving a little strangely. I could ship it to you at cost (with manual and remote) if you're interested. Robin robin@marcate.com SF Bay Area

Ie7ywJG.jpg

Thread is over four years old. Closing

Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.