'Budget' gaming laptop advice needed

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I'm looking to replace a Lenovo T400 that has a AMD M82XT Hybrid 256mb gpu, a Core2Duo 9400 & 8gb ram. It's definitely long in the tooth and we've had a recent spate of BSODs so the time is nigh.

My 10yo has started gaming in the past year - mostly Minecraft & Terraria but more intensive stuff is on the horizon (Left 4 Dead, the newSimCity). He doesn't complain much now but I'd like to be prepared and not have something that makes for a really miserable experience 1 year down the road if he expands his gaming.

From what I've gathered, the GPU is probably the biggest hurdle. I've looked at the big names (Dell, HP, Lenovo) and they mostly offer lower-end gpus (judging by these benchmarks) except for Dell's Alienware line where the cheapest Alienware 14 offers the GeForce GTX 765M, which seems to have more than double the performance of the other gpus offered. I'm guessing that is probably the way to go but do are other GPUs like the GeForce GT 750M doable? Or not worth it in the long run?

Also, I am assuming that lower screen resolutions can make do with a lesser gpu - is that correct?

I'd originally thought I could find something usable for under $700, thinking anything would be an upgrade over what we have, but it seems more like that at under $1500 is more realistic. Are there any particular laptop models that offer good gaming performance without breaking the bank? Thank you.

devilskreed

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Lenovo y510p offer you a lot of options based on your budget,GT 750m is more than enough for casual gaming and will run any game on medium high except the most graphics demanding games..The y510p configured for $1200 gives you a 1080p resolution display with dual 750m's in sli which performs similar to a gtx 675mx or GTX 770.That is why lenovo series is considered price/performance king.SImilar configured alienware would cost around $1700,you are saving 500 dollars here.

It is upto you for casual gaming 800$ version with a single 750m is enough..

ANd if you want some more punch the 1200$ version with 750m sli is more than enough.

For gaming benchmarks and more info refer to

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M-SLI.91280.0.html

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Is a laptop needed? Have you thought about piecing together a desktop for him? WIth $1500 budget you could easily set him up with a high end rig or save money and go with a middle of the road rig.

devilskreed

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
@fatboytyler desktops dont offer mobility,and keeping in mind the op's preferences he is more interested in mobile gaming than desktops.But i do agree laptops can never replace desktops in terms of shear gaming power and price/performance

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

They said they were interested in Laptop, but has the thought ever crossed their mind?

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I've built desktops for myself in the past, so yes, the thought has been had. My son wants the mobility to go play with friends so this would need to be a laptop. I'll admit though that I'm not inclined to DIY much these days (parenthood = lack of free time = need for convenience).

I'm intrigued by the Lenovo option, I'm going to check it out & compare with the Alienware 14 w/ the GTX 765M (also ~$1200).