Budget gaming laptop-HELP

Josh_T

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hey, I'm new to this forum and from what I've seen there are guys on this forum that know their *** so I figured I'd ask on here. I wasn't really sure where to post this thread btw.

Anyway OT: I'm thinking of buying a new computer and I don't have the biggest budget, I'd be able to pay anything up to £450 (or $710.82). I've been looking around for a couple of computers and this computer seems to have the best specs for this amount of money:http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-2213sa-15-6-laptop-red-18093449-pdt.html

It's specs are as follows:
Processor: Quad-Core AMD A8-4500M processor (1.9 GHz, 2.8 GHz with Turboboost, 4 MB L2 cache)
Operating System: Windows 8
RAM: 8 GB (2 x 4 GB)
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7640G Discrete-Class up to 4.98 GB of dedicated RAM
Screen type: HD BrightView LED-backlit
Screen resolution: 1366 x 768
Screen size: 15.6"
Screen features: LED backlit
Hard drive: 1 TB (SATA, 5400 rpm)

I was wandering how suitable for gaming this is and if the graphics card and processor seems suited for decent games. I'd be looking to run games like GTA IV, GTA 5 (when released), Skyrim etc. Also is this Laptop good value for money? The specs seem pretty nice for something that's only £400, in my opinion anyway.

PLUS, if you got some spare time could you suggest any good gaming laptops that will fall into my price range (£450 [$720])?

Thanks guys, opinions and reccomendations are much appreciated. :love:

failwheeldrive

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
The 7640 is actually the integrated graphics within the apu, so this laptop doesn't has a dedicated gpu. Nonetheless, AMD's integrated graphics are better than intel's HD 4000, but it's still a far cry from a decent gaming laptop. It will play a lot of games on the lowest settings at 768, but more demanding games won't run well on this laptop. If you really want a decent gaming laptop, I highly recommend you either save up more cash or build a desktop instead. If you absolutely need a laptop, then I suggest trying to find an MSI CX61, which comes with an Nvidia gt 645m and starts at $699 usd. The 645m is an improvement on AMD's integrated graphics, but it's still about the lowest performing discrete mobile gpu on the market. It'll play pretty much everything on the low/medium settings, but I wouldn't count on it to play next year's most demanding titles well.

In other words, you'd get a whole lot more bang for your buck if you were willing to build a desktop. Dedicated laptop gaming is extremely expensive (my M18x was over 3 grand,) so a desktop would be a more worthwhile investment. If that's not an option, check out notebookreview.com's "what should I buy" forum. You should get more ideas over there.