Budget Laptop Advice - Acer Aspire E13

Jay Wehipeihana

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Hey everyone, first time poster here.

Am looking to buy a cheap laptop for my partner who requires it for Microsoft Office and the Internet, we live in Brunei so the selection is small. Have managed to find an Acer Aspire E13 for $320USD/240GBP.

Base Specs are:
Intel Celeron Quad Core N2940
4GB Ram
500GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics
13.3" Screen
And a free carry bag :)
1 year warranty

Any advice would be greatly appreicated, if you need any more info please feel free to ask.

Solution
It doesn't look great, but it's $320, so you take what you can get. Actually, it looks pretty good for the price.

One piece of advice. Avoid a processor with an N in it. They look great from the outside, but they actually are terrible. Go for a processor that ends with a U. Example: Celeron 2980U. Even better, one that ends with an M. Example: Celeron 2970M.

Bottom line: Whatever laptop you get, when you open it, the laptop will boot up and do what you need it to do. The only difference is how fast it does it.

Aspiring techie

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
It doesn't look great, but it's $320, so you take what you can get. Actually, it looks pretty good for the price.

One piece of advice. Avoid a processor with an N in it. They look great from the outside, but they actually are terrible. Go for a processor that ends with a U. Example: Celeron 2980U. Even better, one that ends with an M. Example: Celeron 2970M.

Bottom line: Whatever laptop you get, when you open it, the laptop will boot up and do what you need it to do. The only difference is how fast it does it.

Solution

Jay Wehipeihana

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014

I found a Dell Inspiron with a 4th Gen Intel Core i3-4005u, 4GB Ram and 500 GB HDD for $526USD. Obviuously it has the i3 processor which sets it apart and it has a 14" screen.
Is this price difference worth paying for the i3??

Personally, I would as the i3 is more power efficient which means it will produce less heat when you use the laptop which should result in better battery life.

Aspiring techie

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
An i3 is worlds better. However, it you are just using Microsoft Office and the internet, then you don't need to pay extra for the upgrade. Your original selection could do just that. If you want something better than your original selection, get something with a Pentium.

With Microsoft Office, your biggest concern isn't your CPU, but your screen size. A 15" screen or bigger is recommended. Try finding one with that.