Budget laptop for Revit

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
1. What is your budget? <$700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14" or less

3. What screen resolution do you want? Not important.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Replacing current Lenovo Ideapad U310

5. How much battery life do you need? Anything greater than 4 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Lot of web-based business, but also use Outlook; Gimp, Inkscape, SketchUp, and in a perfect world would be able to run Revit from this computer at least logging into a virtual machine back in our office.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? <500GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Newegg is what I'm most familiar with, Lenovo Outlet

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 yrs

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? Not needed (don't want the extra size/weight)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. None preferred

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I've been able to work from a Lenovo ideapad U310 for 5 years now, but my business role is expanding and I've also noticed some performance issues (mostly battery-life related), even with a new SSD replacement about 2 years ago. I had considered replacing the battery, but my initial look at doing so thought it was a more complex undertaking than I really want to do right now. I'm also taking on a different role with my office and may have a need to run Revit BIM modeling software from time to time, so I'm looking for something powerful enough to do that. Don't need to do much in terms of rendering with it, just more production and QA/QC. Mostly looking to keep things light, good battery life, quiet (noticed my ideapad fan running a little louder these days), and on a budget. I'm not at all opposed to buying a used, recert/open box/scratch & dent machine to save dollars. When I bought my ideapad, it was a Lenovo Outlet purchase, and I almost feel ashamed at saying I only paid $369 for it. Not sure if something with enough RAM and computing power can be had for my budget (also willing to buy something and swap out a drive if needed), but if anyone has a good idea on specs to keep track of, I'd also appreciate it. There's one other thing - my wife's Lenovo keyboard has this weird (at least I find it so) placement of the "Shift" key that hangs me up every time I need to use it for something. So I'm not sure what you'd call the keyboard style my U310 has, but that's what I am most efficient with.

allbudgetlaptops

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Under $700 budget I suggest you HP Pavilion 15-cx0020nr and Acer Aspire E 15, which is the best in this price range.

HP Pavilion 15-cx0056wm Gaming Laptop
Processor:- (8th Gen) Intel Core i5-8300H Processor
RAM:- 8GB RAM
Hard Disk:- 1TB HDD
Graphics:- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Display:- 15.6 Inch Full HD IPS Anti-glare WLED-backlit Display
Battery:- up to 7.5 hours

Acer Aspire E 15
Processor:- (8th Gen) Intel Core i7-8550U Processor
RAM:- 8GB RAM
Hard Disk:- 256GB SSD
Graphics:- NVIDIA GeForce MX 150 2GB
Display:- 15.6 Inch Full HD IPS Widescreen LED-lit Display
Battery:- up to 15 hours

Both the above laptop have different config and look, so choose wisely. I hope that both the above laptop will help you to choose the perfect one for you.

Let me know what you think about it.