Bungie Officially Says Goodbye to Halo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why does climbing DirectX version number need to matter so much?

An engine can still look fantastic in DirectX 9 with powerful enough hardware. Pixel/vertex shader model only forms a very small part of the equation.

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
because coding under Dx11 is way more efficient than Dx9 code path using the same functionality. Adding a moderate amount of tesselation and superior anti-aliasing doesn't affect frame rates that much and improves I.Q.

G

[citation][nom]verrul[/nom]because coding under Dx11 is way more efficient than Dx9 code path using the same functionality. Adding a moderate amount of tesselation and superior anti-aliasing doesn't affect frame rates that much and improves I.Q.[/citation]

It isn't more efficient at all. The same fixed function pipeline functionality is still there, just done in a different place. If it were more efficient, DirectX 11 would benchmark significantly faster than DirectX 9. It's only more efficient from a code cleanliness perspective (speaking as a professional games programmer myself).

I'm not trying to suggest that DirectX 9 is a superior API to DirectX 11 (obviously!). My point was more focused on the comments above implying that the DirectX version number will somehow make or break the next Xbox's success. It was almost like reading a Chrome version number roadmap.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The studio managed to squeeze out a few Marathon and Myth games before taking on the FPS genre with the release of Microsoft's original Halo: Combat Evolved Xbox and Windows PC game in 2001.

?

I remember playing Marathon as a kid, and I do recall it being an FPS :p

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Sounds like a lot is still unknown to the general public about Bungie's next franchise, but I would welcome them into the PC world.Many of the long-time PC franchises have since moved on to consoles, leaving PC players with nothing except bad ports of console games that originally started on PC (Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, etc.) So maybe a console developer coming to the PC world would leave PC players with something amazing. Who knows.[/citation]

New Marathon or Myth PC game? :D

guyjones

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Yeah, I remember playing "Maraton 2: Durandal" and "Marathon: Infinity" on my Mac in college. Fun games with great storylines. Properly updated, this series could become a new blockbuster FPS franchise.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]guyjones[/nom]Yeah, I remember playing "Maraton 2: Durandal" and "Marathon: Infinity" on my Mac in college. Fun games with great storylines. Properly updated, this series could become a new blockbuster FPS franchise.[/citation]

Iv been hoping for a comeback to the series ever since reading about all the similarities between it and Halo (was hoping for it to be nothing like Halo, and primarily PC of course :p [big hopes]).

My Marathon boxes are somewhere in my basement, but theres a shelf behind me with Myth, and Myth 2 boxes :) (Along with Heretic 2, Quake 2, Unreal, and a few others)

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
if you used the same limitations on Dx9 under Dx11 just coded for Dx11 it is faster. Adding all the new crap slows it down.

guyjones

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
It;s funny to think that Bungie originally got its start as the most prominent developer of games on the Mac. THey must have demoed a version of "Halo" to Microsoft right before the XBOX came out, and Microsoft decided to acquire the company to bolster the game content of its new platform. Who can blame the Bungie principals for going big time? They must have hit the jackpot with that deal.

As ironic as it sounds, the blockbuster, multi-billion dollar "Halo" franchise has its roots in a relatively obscure (outside the Mac world), little-known, but highly regarded FPS trilogy called "Marathon." If Bungie still holds the intellectual property rights to the franchise, they could do wonders with a new title, given the fifteen years in graphics and gameplay advancement since the last one came out (I think in 1997). This could be the next big thing in the FPS world if Bungie decides to take the plunge.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]guyjones[/nom]It;s funny to think that Bungie originally got its start as the most prominent developer of games on the Mac. THey must have demoed a version of "Halo" to Microsoft right before the XBOX came out, and Microsoft decided to acquire the company to bolster the game content of its new platform. Who can blame the Bungie principals for going big time? They must have hit the jackpot with that deal.As ironic as it sounds, the blockbuster, multi-billion dollar "Halo" franchise has its roots in a relatively obscure (outside the Mac world), little-known, but highly regarded FPS trilogy called "Marathon." If Bungie still holds the intellectual property rights to the franchise, they could do wonders with a new title, given the fifteen years in graphics and gameplay advancement since the last one came out (I think in 1997). This could be the next big thing in the FPS world if Bungie decides to take the plunge.[/citation]

Halo was going to be their next big Mac (and PC) game, and for many was going to be the next big competitive game after Tribes. Then Microsoft bought Bungie before the game was done. Oops. (Not to mention this upset Apple a bit)

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I hope they just add Kinect to detect head movement for peaking up, down, and side-to-side or something like that. It might also be useful for something like diving side to side or ducking. That could be a pretty good functionality in a shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS