Solved! burning smell, now won't turn on

zauriel56

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
So a couple of days ago my laptop gave off a burning smell and then shut off, I open up the bottom and the smell seems to come from the fan. When i try to turn it on nothing happens. I have an old alienware m15x. any other info you need just ask.

Solution
Sounds like you may have fried your motherboard. A bad fan alone shouldn't cause it to stop working. At least not unless it had a short that effected more than just the fan.

The only way to know for sure is to open it up and look.

If it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, then you can try and do the work yourself. If you feel comfortable doing so. Or, take it to a local tech.
Sounds like you may have fried your motherboard. A bad fan alone shouldn't cause it to stop working. At least not unless it had a short that effected more than just the fan.

The only way to know for sure is to open it up and look.

If it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, then you can try and do the work yourself. If you feel comfortable doing so. Or, take it to a local tech.

Solution

alexoler2002

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
Did you notice the fan being louder the last few days?,If the answer is yes my bet would be you just fried your motherboard,When you connect power and press the power button is there ANY sign of life at all?

woahwoahwilly

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
Maybe you should replace the battery and retry. Nothing? Replace the fan if you can. Nothing? Buy one of those laptop coolers, remove the fan, open up the back, and let the cooler do the work for you. Nothing? Get the thing fixed. BTW, would you ever leave the thing on longer than usual?