Business Laptop Buying Advice

bpeyzner

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I need some help to pick a laptop to buy. I have a very solid gaming desktop.

Recently my 9 year old laptop died. I did not use it that much (1 or 2 times a month) because it was very bulky and slow.

However, i need to buy an inexpensive laptop i can use for business. Primarily i need to be able to log into my office's network and do work when i am out of the office.

I would also probably take this laptop on trips with me just to have ready access to internet.

I would not use it to game. Perhaps i would watch a movie on it once in a while.

I do not want to spend a lot of money, but would like to get something that can last me a while.

Any advice?

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah, the thinkpad design hasn't really changed since they came out. I was a little surprised when I saw that they still had the rubber mouse nub in the middle of the keyboard.

The only other laptop manufacturer I have experience with is HP, but I don't know about the quality of their lower end laptops. If you are looking for a good design, I suggest checking out their Pavilion line of notebooks.

Here is one that I saw a decent review for: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A1J23AV?HP-Pavilion-g6t-1d00-Notebook-PC

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
For laptops I have had good experiences with the Dell Latitude series. The 43xx are light and look sleak to me. This is the brand and models we use at work and currently have about 600 of them in use.

Flare

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
If you are willing to look at "uglier laptops" like the Thinkpad you should look at the Thinkpads suggested above, Dell's and HP's business line (Dell Vostro's, Latitudes, etc.). If you want something to last forever these will be good, but they are lacking in the design department.
Better designs with good build quality would mean looking at Asus - all around they have typically great quality. (And usually 1yr accidental warranty + 2year manufacturer warranty included)