Business Laptop Recommendations Needed

cdogg44

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
I'm looking to put together a work from home setup with a laptop, docking station, and 2-3 monitors. I have a few specifics necessary but do not know where I should start looking.

Must have:
Windows based
Dual (preferably triple) monitor support, most likely 24"
Reliable docking station so it can be easily disconnected and taken on the road

Other than Office software (Excel & Outlook) the rest of the required software would be web based. I am thinking something i5 and 8GB RAM but am open to suggestions. Also, hard drive capacity shouldn't need to be more than 500GB and I'm not sure if a SSD is necessary. The laptop will be docked 90% of the time.

Finally, I'd like something upgradable in the RAM and HD department so I could stretch the investment out as long as possible.

I've looked at a Lenovo T series and they seem to fit the bill, but I was unsure if there was anything else out there.

Thanks

Solution
Laptops only support 1 external monitor. There are perhaps gaming laptop that can support 2 external monitors, but I am not aware of any specifically. While laptops may have more than 1 video output port like VGA and HDMI, they are typically there as options. You can use one or the other, but not both.

You will need an external device like the following if you want to connect 2 external monitors:

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/Universal-Laptop-Docking-Station-Dual-Monitor~USB3SDOCKHDV

I generally like Lenovo ThinkPad T series laptops. Especially the current ones that uses the 5th generation Intel CPUs because they reintroduced the mouse pad with physical button; a major complaint for the last...
Laptops only support 1 external monitor. There are perhaps gaming laptop that can support 2 external monitors, but I am not aware of any specifically. While laptops may have more than 1 video output port like VGA and HDMI, they are typically there as options. You can use one or the other, but not both.

You will need an external device like the following if you want to connect 2 external monitors:

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/Universal-Laptop-Docking-Station-Dual-Monitor~USB3SDOCKHDV

I generally like Lenovo ThinkPad T series laptops. Especially the current ones that uses the 5th generation Intel CPUs because they reintroduced the mouse pad with physical button; a major complaint for the last generation ThinkPads. I considering buying a ThinkPad for personal usage when I am ready to replace my current laptop.

Solution