Business worthy laptop with multiple digital monitor outputs?

TheShagg

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I am looking for a business quality laptop that can support multiple digital monitors. Three would be nice - I know eyefinity can do this, although I have not tried it out to be sure how that works. Ideally it should treat the desktop as 3 monitors, not 1 big stretched one, when I go to maximize windows, etc. I do a lot of coding, I will have terminal windows open, PDFs, etc.

Also it MUST be fast, as I use this for work and waste a LOT of the day waiting for code to build. Between the various Tortoise tools an antivirus my computer is getting severely bogged, so I just want to hit it with a hammer.

Good graphics would be nice, especially if I can switch between the Intel graphics and the discreet, as sometimes I do want battery life, but usually not.

Budget is around $1500. This is flexible.

Also looking for 15.6 inch form factor with a high res screen. I am happy with my present Compaq nc8430's 1680x1050 resolution.

I've seen the Dell 15R, which has the dual digital monitor ports, but you can only use them at the same time in clone mode. The latest HP business offerings just make me yawn. I cant understand why the new sandy bridge laptops don't include dual HDMI.

If you know of anything, let me know! :sol:

Hello TheShagg;

Any laptop with VGA (analog) and HDMI (digital) will get you the dual external monitors for your 3 screen setup.

A good example would be a Dell Latitude E6520 @ ~$1350 nicely configured
Core i7-2720QM 2.20GHz quad core CPU, 4GB RAM (1 stick), 320GB HDD, 1600x900 15.6" LCD, Intel HD 3000 graphics. A 1920x1080 LCD screen is also an option.

I didn't include a 8GB RAM upgrade since Dell wanted an extra $155 for something you could upgrade yourself for about $40.

TheShagg

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

First of all I want dual digital monitor ports, I never want to use analog ever again.

Second of all, almost no laptops with 2 monitor ports support using both at the same time with the built in display turned on.

This is true of digital ports.
Which is why I recommended an analog and digital solution for your requirement.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why not pick up the phone and give Dell a call?