Buy a new laptop? Or replace my HDD with a SSD?

synbn

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
So with my birthday and black friday / cyber monday coming up, I've been thinking about getting a new laptop, or upgrading my current one with a ssd.

My laptop right now is a Samsung ultrabook. These are the specs from NCIX. https://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-np530u3b-a02ca-intel-core-i5-68-70386.htm

Processor:
Intel Core i5 Processor 2467M (1.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache)

Graphic Processor:
Intel HD Graphics 3000

System Memory:
4 GB DDR3 System Memory at 1333 MHz (on BD 4 GB)

Memory Slot:
1 DIMM Slots

HDD:
500 GB S-ATA II Slim Hard Drive (5400 RPM) with ExpressCache 16 GB

Etc.

I've used this laptop for around 6-7 years, and it has gotten significantly slower and slower; to the point where I have to wait a while for the start menu to pop up after I click it. I have a desktop PC at home for gaming and general use. I use my laptop mainly for school; like taking notes during lectures, bringing it with me to work or back home on the weekends, etc. I even have trouble switching between windows when taking notes in lectures.
So basically, my question is: Should I replace my HDD with a SSD, or should I just buy a new laptop? Thanks.

Solution
SSD and a fresh reinstall of Windows would dramatically help speed things along. A SSD can make an old computer feel like new again.

That said, a newer U-series processor laptop with a SSD would have much better battery life and performance to boot. Up to you how much you'd actually like to spend. Could be $80 vs $4-500 for a decent new one.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
SSD and a fresh reinstall of Windows would dramatically help speed things along. A SSD can make an old computer feel like new again.

That said, a newer U-series processor laptop with a SSD would have much better battery life and performance to boot. Up to you how much you'd actually like to spend. Could be $80 vs $4-500 for a decent new one.

Solution